Dyeing dead eyes

Hi Guys and Ladies of SOS. I would like to paint/dye my many dead eyes on the Victory Model black. I have painted one with Indian ink and it is good. Question: can I just soak them all in Indian ink or must I paint each individually?

Hi Guys and Ladies of SOS. I would like to paint/dye my many dead eyes on the Victory Model black. I have painted one with Indian ink and it is good. Question: can I just soak them all in Indian ink or must I paint each individually?
You can definitely submerge them for a few minutes. The inc will penetrate the wood, in this case, it works like a stain.

Also think about using a wood stain…for example, I use MinWax Ebony stain which works great. Decant some into a saucer and soak your deadeyes…
Stains are very good solutions, but...you have to understand them before they are used. For example, you have recommended the MinWax Ebony (BTW great product), but you didn't specify if it oils based or water-based. Also, it will depend on what finish solution you want to use at the end: Wax, oil\varnish, or shellac?

You are right Jimsky. I simply suggested a wood stain product as an alternative to India ink. I have experienced little difference in using oil based or water based MinWax products...both work equally well. I use MinWax oil based wipe on poly matte finish for my primary finish coats on all parts. I do not have experience with tung oil or linseed oil finishes nor shellac finishes so I will need to defer to those on the forum who might comment further. I also do not use India ink. I normally do not apply a finish coat on the stained deadeyes however. I stain and leave them as is. :)

Another overlooked method is ebonizing wood to darken it. It involves vinegar and steel wool....
Hi Phil! do you have any more detailed info about that process? I've been working on an old wooden stool that's been in my family for decades and that finish from the photo looks great.

Always use a test piece when using the vinegar/iron stain. Because it depends on the amount of tannins in the wood the results can go from jet black(like you might well use paint) or no effect at all. Personal experience here.

Back