Early/Essential tips for Revell 1/96 Cutty Sark

I posted on BritModeller in the maritime section and they suggested this might be a good place to ask for some general tips and advice on this ship. Having visited this ship alot as a kid and my parents still living nearby my goal is to create a nicely detailed model.

I've built railway models in various scales and mediums (resin, plastic, brass, etc.) but only a few scale models, most recently a HMS Dreadnought. I'm not super-fussed about 100% prototypical accuracy but I'm happy to scratchbuild components as neccesary.

I have ordered the C. Longridge books on the Cutty Sark and they'll form some charming bedtime reading, but I'm also eager to get started. As such - I would really appreciate if anyone had any hints or tips which apply particularly to the early stages of construction.

I understand HISMODELER provide a laser cut deck, CNC blocks and various sails - but I'm not sure if these are required or recommended?

I posted on BritModeller in the maritime section and they suggested this might be a good place to ask for some general tips and advice on this ship. Having visited this ship alot as a kid and my parents still living nearby my goal is to create a nicely detailed model.

I've built railway models in various scales and mediums (resin, plastic, brass, etc.) but only a few scale models, most recently a HMS Dreadnought. I'm not super-fussed about 100% prototypical accuracy but I'm happy to scratchbuild components as neccesary.

I have ordered the C. Longridge books on the Cutty Sark and they'll form some charming bedtime reading, but I'm also eager to get started. As such - I would really appreciate if anyone had any hints or tips which apply particularly to the early stages of construction.

I understand HISMODELER provide a laser cut deck, CNC blocks and various sails - but I'm not sure if these are required or recommended?
Hi William, it depends only on you if you feel like doing it from scratch or from Kit

Doing what? I'm going to build the kit for sure - but if there are areas which are really obviously bad: maybe the wrong shape, missing detail, etc. - then I will look to amend or refine those as I can

you should look at the building logs of the Cutty Sark and take a look a the different results.
Usually such after sails kits (like decks or blocks etc.) are adding additional quality to the models, but it is like often in life a question of taste and the available money the modeler want to invest on his model

I guess you are thinking about the plastic from Revell

Here are photos of finished models

very good small blocks and rigging lines are also available from Dry Docks - highly recommended

This guy here is currently building his Revell Cutty Sark with the deck provided by HIS model:

Hallo @William A
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

There's a plethora of photographs of the ship online.

The most glaring fault on the big Revel kit is the deck is set too high; the hull assembly is remarkably accurate otherwise. Being a late 1950's era kit, its a bit clunky but far more worthwhile than any wood kit I've seen.

Being a dual member, I can recommend viewing the excellent model by 'Bruma' on the Modelshipworld site, which is a tour de force.

Hallo @William A
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back