Ebony Wales

@zoly99sask His Name is Sergey, he speaks Russian. He can make most of the standard sizes in MM. You may contact him and he will be sent you an updated price list with sizes and price (in rubbles). If you have trouble to translate\uderstand price list let me know, I will help you.

Just to add a note to the conversation, David Antscherl in his Swan class series, Volume I, page19, does not use ebony because " it does not work or glue well, and the dust is toxic." He recommends using pear-wood that has been dyed black as a substitute.

Just to add a note to the conversation, David Antscherl in his Swan class series, Volume I, page19, does not use ebony because " it does not work or glue well, and the dust is toxic." He recommends using pear-wood that has been dyed black as a substitute.

fake information, taking an unfounded statement and turning it into a scary thing, crying wolf

as far as Ebony being toxic is a load of hogwash ALL wood dust is toxic to some degree and some to some people and not others

personally when I cut Basswood it makes my eyes water and it chokes me. so do I say WARNING don't use Basswood it is toxic.

check out the chart

I was told that teak wood is hard to glue because too oily, I had no issue at all gluink teak,as for toxicity ,any wood can be toxic or the person is sensitive or allergic to them,best to wear a mask.

my intent havanamac was not to discredit your information you were just quoting another source.

this community of ship modeling is just full of misinformation, statements taken out of content or twisted

yes david is correct Ebony might be toxic to 1 out of 10,000,000 people. it is not toxic to me and I cut more Ebony over the past 38 years than everyone here combined and never had any effect. Nor have I ever heard of anyone having a bad effect from cutting Ebony. Think about it how much Ebony is an average model builder going to cut? a thimble full of dust is not going to kill you or for that matter even effect you.

interesting if David says Ebony is toxic then why is it safe to use spoons and bowls and smoking pipes made of Ebony. so if there is anything "toxic" about ebony no one would be making salad bowls out of it. so what the heck is he talking about?

Last edited:
it does not work or glue well,
@havanamac just to add what David Stevens said. Ebony glued well using both PVA and\or CA glues. Actually, the surfaces must be dry and clean (nothing new with gluing any surface) I clean surface with alcohol and let completely evaporate. if using PVA both surface wet with glue for a few minutes, then press together and use the hot iron to melt the glue. Let it completely dry. For CA just clue an press hold for a few min (depended on cure time)

Interesting discussion.I use ebony on my builds and on one occasion after several hours working on the table saw my arms were covered in Hives.So I figured I must be allergic to it.That is just me not everyone.I still use it,Just cover my arms and hands up if creating a lot of dust.
I have a far worse allergic reaction when working with walnut,respirity tract inflammation,one reason why I try and avoid that wood.
Everyone is different and what affects the few will probably not affect the majority.

Regards

Nigel

Hallo @havanamac
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back