Edge bending

This is an expensive bending iron used by instrument builders... works great. If I wanted to edge bend with this- I'd simply get a couple of other pieces of wood the same thickness as the width of the strip you're bending- stack them together so the thin edge is exposed between the 2 scraps- to provide side support- and bend away!
Other bending irons have been made with a piece of pipe and a propane torch heating the tube... a baffle on the outside end helps keep the heat in the tube.

This is an expensive bending iron used by instrument builders....works great
MarTay6
It looks like a very nice unit but I cannot picture how you did edge bending to the shape you needed with it. If you don't mind, could you post a picture or two on how you did this? It is a bit expensive, and could be worth the investment if it works better than simpler methods, but none of the photos show edge bending. Thank you very much for your help.
Allan

I haven't actually done edge bending as you describe- however this is how it's done for purfling on a guitar/musical instrument. The middle piece being the piece you want to edge bend- you would simply hold the 3 pieces together and bend slowly and carefully around the hot pipe/bending iron. You can find more guidance if you Google "Bending purfling with a bending iron". The 2 side pieces keep the middle piece lined up properly- and help keep from buckling sideways.

20240617_144309.jpg

Back