• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Eduard 1/48 FW 190 A-5 with Details

Joined
Mar 20, 2026
Messages
59
Points
78

Hello Everyone,

My son started an Eduard’s FW 190 A-5 Light Fighter in 1/48 scale before COVID. But since then he only completed a couple of sub units before he stopped and the kit sat for 6 years. He purchased the Big Ed accessories that included the engine, panels, flaps, seat belts, and instrument panels. He had cemented the piston portions together and bent the flaps. So there will be no unboxing other than the boxes themselves.
IMG_3640.jpeg

I found a BMW 327 cabriolet in 1/48 scale at a cheap price with a KA accessories for the car for the same price as just one kit. So… Priller’s car and plane it is. But I didn’t want to just do the same famous scene. Plus finding the figures to replicate the scene is a journey in itself. So the diorama I am creating will be in July 1943 instead of June 1943 when the photo was taken. Same airfield (so I need to make a WW2 Western European tarmac). The plane has seen a lot of combat in the month of June and July as the Americans ramp up their bombing strategy.

I will have his car at one side and the plane both pointing in a V. Priller figure will be in the center with the mechanics working on the plane, conducting the next maintenance and the panels are open and the engine exposed. The plane will have “some” weathering but more dirty than anything (Priller being the Commander of JG 26 in France at this time, his plane was well looked after).

I will start with the BMW 801 engine sub unit. There were some complications with the piece that my son did was squashed and needed some repairs. The other issue was that the cylinder parts were cemented together without adding the appropriate accessory PE pieces. I separated the pieces and scratch built some of the exhaust pipes that were damaged. Then I started installing parts, but I found the casting of the cylinder heads was not up to Eduard’s usual high quality detailing. Luckily, I have some extra PE parts that mimic the top of the cylinder heads and had the realistic engineering look.

IMG_3387.jpegIMG_3388.jpegIMG_3386.jpeg

I painted the base pieces in NATO Black and then with aluminum drybrush the engine pieces. I wanted the darker vibe with the black because the BMW 801 engine notoriously leaked oil like crazy.

IMG_3395.jpegIMG_3399.jpeg

I used AK interactive rust paint on the exhaust pipes after laying a base red/brown coat. I finished off with rust colored and cordite like soot weathering powder for texture as those exhaust pipes reach super high temps performing high speed maneuvers in the aerial combat arena.

IMG_3402.jpegIMG_3404.jpegIMG_3407.jpeg

Then I adding the rest of the resin and PE parts to finish out the engine. Instead of using the flat “pipes” that connected the heads and its supports brackets that was integrated into the engine, I substituted both .20 mm and .30 mm metal wiring to replace the flat pieces. I also added some extra wiring with the engine assembly. Connecting items like the fuel pump and fire extinguishers lines to the heads.

IMG_3417.jpegIMG_3420.jpegIMG_3421.jpeg

I finished the final assembly and here we are

IMG_3423.jpegIMG_3426.jpegIMG_3431.jpegIMG_3430.jpeg

Next will be the cockpit, flaps, and other sub units before bringing everything together.

More later and Happy Modeling

IMG_3386.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3388.jpeg

IMG_3395.jpeg

IMG_3399.jpeg

IMG_3402.jpeg

IMG_3404.jpeg

IMG_3407.jpeg

IMG_3417.jpeg

IMG_3420.jpeg

IMG_3421.jpeg

IMG_3423.jpeg

IMG_3426.jpeg

View attachment 642406

IMG_3640.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

IMG_3430.jpegIMG_3431.jpegIMG_3430.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top