• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Emma C. Berry Build Log

Joined
Oct 5, 2026
Messages
5
Points
3

Start off by saying I have never built a model ship but am familiar with balsa planes. I always wanted to build a model ship, but never committed. Recently I found a kit for the Emma C. Berry by Model Shipways on Facebook Marketplace. I really liked that this model had the exposed siding and drydock diorama setting. I also liked that it was only $30! This was too nice of a kit for me not to try this hobby.

Buying this second hand it appears there are a few missing pieces but otherwise all there. The only pieces missing was for the supporting structure that the ship is built upon. Luckily I was able to design and 3D print replacement parts by measuring the spaces the parts used to be and recreating in Fusion360.

I am now ready to start construction from where the previous owner left off.

20261004_175745.jpg

20261004_175745.jpg

20261004_175755.jpg
 
Got the new building stand that the ship will be built on printed and installed.

This kit uses a sort of drydock that gets built first to then build the ship on. I decided to take the time and put the name of the ship on the stand since I had to make it anyway.

20261004_180639.jpg

20261004_183040.jpg

20261004_193149.jpg

20261005_181028.jpg
 
Now that the 'drydock' is complete and what will be the ship is in place, I can start focusing on the frames ligned up and bevels cut. Not sure if I did good on the bevel cuts yet at this point, but seen to match the plans. I worry I may have cut away too much at times but they seem to line up with the plans so we will see.

Next step is to put the frames on using my crane and track system. Should be exiting!

20261005_181023.jpg

20261011_165803.jpg

20261011_173950.jpg
 
Back
Top