Endeavor tandem build

Hallo Dave,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Hi Dave
Are you sure about the placement of your capstan on this model? I haven't looked at any plans but it would be nigh on impossible for the crew to walk the capstan with it in that position. It was customary to place most capstans where the men could walk around in a circle pushing on the bars. Just a thought and happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Hi Dave
Are you sure about the placement of your capstan on this model? I haven't looked at any plans but it would be nigh on impossible for the crew to walk the capstan with it in that position. It was customary to place most capstans where the men could walk around in a circle pushing on the bars. Just a thought and happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.
I guess it is the small scale. The full size Endeavour replica in Australia has a raised, glazed grating forward of the capstan and a large covered walkway between the capstan and helm (the exit from the stairs below), so I suspect the capstan is barely used on the replica.

Endeavour_Replica.JPG

A model in the MAAS Museum shows a grating fore and aft of the capstan but is hard to determine if they are raised or not.

Endeavour_MAAS_Museum_2.jpg

A Model Shipyard model seems to show clear space around 2/3 of the capstan, with an almost flush grating forward for men to walk across.

Endeavour_Capstan.JPG

Please excuse these thoughts if they annoy you. I admire your workmanship and I am still a learner as far as modelling is concerned. My strength is 18th century naval history so I tend to be a bit pedantic.

Back