Ensign Staff

Hi Folks,
After searching the forum, I can find little information on how the ensign staff was actually secured against the stern bulkhead. Somewhere I read about the use of tabernacle baulks being placed over the foot of the staff and secured against adjacent timbers such as the transom standards. Does anyone have some definitive ideas or knowledge about the historical practices used on 17-18C ships ? Depending on the rigging, I do know that the ensign staff could be lowered down onto the deck but it is the fixed version that I am interested in.

Thanks in anticipation. Pete

Thanks for taking the time to find that photo Bryian and it seems to be a logical securing of said staff. Just maybe the approach was an ad hoc one but that is what I am trying to find out. Close examination of the photo suggests a mast cap is present... could that have been to allow the staff to be removed when required ?

SCN5316 (1).jpg

Bryian, a good example of an ensign staff that can be hinged down onto the deck and I can certainly use that image. However, I am still looking for the common method of attachment (if there is one) for a fixed-type staff.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,
After searching the forum, I can find little information on how the ensign staff was actually secured against the stern bulkhead. Somewhere I read about the use of tabernacle baulks being placed over the foot of the staff and secured against adjacent timbers such as the transom standards. Does anyone have some definitive ideas or knowledge about the historical practices used on 17-18C ships ? Depending on the rigging, I do know that the ensign staff could be lowered down onto the deck but it is the fixed version that I am interested in.

Thanks in anticipation. Pete
Hallo Pete alias @piratepete007
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back