• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

Enterprize 1774 1:48 scale kit from MD

Thanks Jeff. The contemporary drawings are probably the best source for showing differences. If the shot locker is there, it is little doubt the original version. One of the build logs (don't remember which) showed a platform midships so I was not sure which version (or both) that MD produced. I would bet the vast majority would prefer the bells and whistles, guns, and masts :)

Allan
 
Thanks Jeff. The contemporary drawings are probably the best source for showing differences. If the shot locker is there, it is little doubt the original version. One of the build logs (don't remember which) showed a platform midships so I was not sure which version (or both) that MD produced. I would bet the vast majority would prefer the bells and whistles, guns, and masts :)

Allan
1767901281449.png
 
I had one of those days where all I could do is glue one thing to the keel and wait so of course I got sidetracked. I cut out all the parts for frames 1-37 and put them in baggies. My wife was asking about where the baggies went so I've been keeping my head down and hope she doesn't visit my little shop area.
1767912196116.png
 
Glenn, making any progress that you'd like to share?? Been a while.
Thank you for remembering my work here!

I had some problems cutting the rabbet for the keel and got a little discouraged. Then there was some disagreement with my wife over the size of the finished project. I have two 1:48 scale POFs now that fit nicely on my sideboard, but those were a supply ship and a revenue cutter. Even as a 6th rate, 1:48 is huge. My eyes were bigger than my shelf space. We'll figure it out though. Anyway, it's on hold.

In the meantime, I decided to go for something with full rigging. I know, that can get huge too. But if it can't live with me, my brother has been begging for a ship. He's promised it will get a cabinet.
 
Hi Glenn,
I smiled when I read the last posting. Eyes too big for available space. Well, I think there are many in that boat and I am as well. I figured I would build them anyways despite the size, for one thing. my joy. I have a joy of seeing BIG things like ships and small things like...ships! (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoTjfGsERo3cY6AfZbULLyilFWpW6fNkX)
I am building the 1/96 Enterprize AND am waiting to receive the 1/48 version. They have fascinated me since I was young. and now I am old(er) at 70 with 2 strokes.. no matter.. I am building for my joy and if they chose to take them when I pass great! if not great! I love the idea of sailing in one of these.. I have sailed in many a submarine.. but thats not sailing.. this from a guy (sic) born and raised in Texas that never saw the ocean till he fled to the navy at 17!

You could still build the 1/96.. complicated still and beautiful. I heard tell of maybe a full rigging package for the 1/48 too..

I am reading about your escapades with the Niagra as well. There is a pof practicum for building the Eagle too.. very similar to the niagra..

God bless you
Guy
 
Gene Bodnar wrote this on the US Brig Eagle (1814)
Sorry, but what did he write?
When you say yes, are you saying the practicums are similar or are the ships similar? I am betting the former, not the latter. Gene Bodnar wrote "this" I am not sure what you meant by "this"
Thanks, and my apologies if I am a bit dense this morning..., age has caught up with me.... :eek:
Allan
 
Here is the practicum..
This is just gold! The section
HOW TO CONVERT A SET OF PLANS TO
PLANK-ON-FRAME CONSTRUCTION
is something I've been looking for for a while, written for better comprehension. It will be fun converting the plans to frames with Illustrator for a future scratch model. Thanks!
 
This is just gold! The section
HOW TO CONVERT A SET OF PLANS TO
PLANK-ON-FRAME CONSTRUCTION
is something I've been looking for for a while, written for better comprehension. It will be fun converting the plans to frames with Illustrator for a future scratch model. Thanks!
Yes, I have a similar practicum for the Bluenose by him for a framed 1/48 ship..
You are very welcome. Gene was a wonderful man.. he made it so that anyone who framed their models could do it.. not just for specialists.

Guy
 
Back
Top