Euromodel Como is in business and still operating.

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

This is a bit sad , as I have built H.M.S Royal William and Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde from Euromodel kits in Lake Como Italy.
It was announced that they are no longer producing their models. I have no other details, but I would speculate that their kits were very out of date and not up to other manufacturers standards.
It was quite evident in my experience building the kits, that they continued with the heavy white metal castings instead of the more modern photo etch that other companies use. Also, the instructions were in Italian and the kit supplied timber was dark walnut and other varieties of wood that's not popular for model builders.

I am sad they didn't try to modernise their manufacturing.

Its on Modellers central web page that are the Australian stockists.

Sorry to hear this - but it was somehow to be expected.

These models were great 35 or 40 years ago (when I was a teen) - and they did not revise their kits over decades

Could someone please explain in detail the meaning of a modern way to make a kit? I read here that etched parts are the modern way. To me etched brass looks not good as it is only two dimensional compared to old cast white metal parts. Someone said walnut strips is obsolete material to go into a kit. What wood do they provide in modern kits? I only know one manufacturer who makes "modern" kits as I want to see it - Master Korabel. These guys use 3D technology to laser every plank on their boat models. So what company is making really modern kits? Looks as almost all kit makers should go out of business very soon.

Hi Y.T, The Cinese companys such as CAF THRU ZHL have some supberb kits out check some of the building logs, the ALERT is coming out with 3-D modeling from check the thread under new kits and look at what they are providing yes MASTER KORABLE have some great looking kits to bad they only produce in one scale, I would love to do there JOLIE, but it is to small for me, maybe I will try one of there other kits, I like to keep my builds to minimum of 12 inches. Don

For me a 'modern' kit has 2 main criteria: CNC milled (rather than laser cut) timber parts and CNC milled timber decorations rather than cheap mass casts or 3D print decorations. For gun barrels such nice brass castings what our Russian friends make would be great, but expensive so I would be happy with better quality white metal casts.
Janos

To be honest I expected this kind of thing. Their models were pretty old and outdated and they did not revise their kits over decades. It is sad seeing businesses like this being closed because they didn't use some methods to develop their product. There are even companies, like digis that specializes in this. If they would've just tried to work on making those models greater and more up-to-date, this wouldn't have happened. Anyways, I hope everything will be fine.

Wow The Royal William there is 1373 Euro! I hope kit matches the price. Is there anyone who built this kit?

Hello everybody. Sometime ago I was after Euromodels HMS Ajax and being in Australia I tried Modellers Central which made the announcement and was told the same thing as reported here. I called Italy and was assured that this company is still in business by the manager. Their website as of today confirms this. Possibly miscommunication and the manager is rectifying this misapprehension internationally. All their kits are being produced but some might be out of stock.

Back