Expensive Model

Hi
Am I missing something, I thought model ship building was for the pleasure of the build NOT for the PROFIT.

Denis.
Truth in that
@ Denis Once you make goods for a profit, it is no longer called hobby! However, it perfectly valid. :)
Very valid point and the reason I don't sell them I started doing some hobbies for profit like Forging and foundry work. what started as a hobby to make things I wanted or needed turned into a JOB with folks wanting this or that made after a while and I mean a short while it was no longer fun to do it was now work. I stopped making things for people and stopped showing the things I made so no one would ask. I find nothing wrong with selling them if you can for me though I just don't i wouldn't be able to work out a price anyhow.

That is exactly the position that I am in. But in the past, I have made too many to keep, I will just have to reduce the number of what I do build. In the UK, we have a minimum wage, so as long as one keeps a tally of the number of hours it takes to build, it is just simple multipliaction to come up with a price. Even so, I reduce it a bit, because very few people want to pay even the minimum wage for a model ship. It is difficult to answer people when they ask "What are you building at the moment?" Although I can truthfully answer "nothing!" At the "moment," Simply because I am talking to them, and not building a model at that "moment!" :D They are always asking at the local model ship club, but when I did take completed models there, it was very rare that anyone bothered having a closer look during the lunch break. When I complete a model, I just take a large photograph, and pass it round. No-one has so far asked why I don't take the models any more! Neverthless, it has always been a hobby in that I did not have to do it, it was my own choice! A model I sold years ago (SS Marathon) is currently listed on Ebay for £1,200, it will be interesting to see if it sells (Its original owner died recently).
Bob
Marathon 2.JPG

I love your work Bob I have room for smaller ships, though I'm sure the Admiral wouldn't think so lol I make a lot of Native American things that she likes to keep, but ships are a whole different animal. She just thinks the are to large to fit in any rooms space.

I love your work Bob I have room for smaller ships, though I'm sure the Admiral wouldn't think so lol I make a lot of Native American things that she likes to keep, but ships are a whole different animal. She just thinks the are to large to fit in any rooms space.

My wife doesn't bother about me building them at all, and never has. She used to accompany me to sea on long ocean voyages, so we have shared memories of it all.

She likes that I build them mostly because I'm home as apposed to the Bar. I know I'm happier I've never gotten a hangover from building a ship. The wife and I used to do a lot of stuff together I'm a history buff and love war history so I go to many of the Battle grounds, she really liked doing that also, but then along came Noah My Grandson and now she doesn't want to do anything. I want to take him with us but she wont have any of it. Eventually I will get caught up on the builds I have and I can start rebuilding some of my favorite ships in miniature.

The sale for the Marathon, (pictured above) closed at 2109 hrs last night (15th December, 2018) on Ebay, so I assume it has been sold for the Buy it Now price of £1,200! I will keep an eye open for feedback. It will be interesting to see if it arrives at its destination OK, as it was one of the last ones I built using glass rather than acrylic.
Bob

Back