Fairing frames

Hi Jcushion2
I would advise you to look at Jim's log if you have not done so yet as he is one of the best builders on this forum.
He is a mind of information.

Denis.

I would advise you to look at Jim's log if you have not done so yet as he is one of the best builders on this forum.
He is a mind of information.
@DenisR Thank you for the compliment, Denis. ... but 'one of the best' is too loud... I am not at that level yet, but eventually might be there (perhaps not in this world) :p What I strongly agree with you, is to look at our logs, a ton of useful information!

This is not a difficult step but it is a tricky one. The bulkheads are usually too far apart. As a result the framing may not be solid enough and fairing may give you some issues in regards to giving too much of a bevel to each piece. In this case, you would end up with some flat areas or even dips. Because your hull will likely be fully planked, I would suggest placing filling blocks in the area below deck (they will not be seen once the planking is done). You can even extend that to all areas that will not be open in your hull. Once that is done the hull will be solid, the bulkhead will not move during the sanding / beveling process, which is always possible without solidity. You can still use batten to check and make sure your future planks will lay flat but a lot of it can also be done by eye: at least at the beginning as you will not have all that empty space between "frames". adding filling blocks will better ensure that the curves are nice + they will help laying the planks. With too much space between bulkheads you may end up with some flat areas. I would going through the process even if 2 layers of planking are planned. It is time consuming. It is an extra step. But the end result will be better.
GK

Back