Figureheads

There is a book called "Old Ship Figure-heads & Sterns" by L. G. Carr Laughton. It even covers entry ways, belffries and other fancy work. Also, it covers several Dutch ships and Dutch practices. It was first printed in 1925. The book I have was reprinted in 2006. Algrove Publishing put this out.

Thanks Anja. That is a very interesting site. I thought it was a lost art and that there was not any more around, let alone make a living on it.
The book I mentioned may not be in print anymore. You might have to contact the publisher and see if they have any copies left.

Everytime I think about figureheads is the one in the movie "Jason and the arganauts" that woman figurehead would only talk to Jason. It is kind of funny that people on the boat kept wondering why Jason kept looking at her !

But, seriously now - I have always wondered what the history is behind why or when did the concept of figure heads come into play.

As I said before my uncle had collected Marine antiques before he passed in 1963 . I grew up with a Green colored hand painted Lady Figurehead which was very detailed . It was life size and the woman was of a husky size unlike you would think .It had no holes in it and we later found out because of this it probably was never placed on a ship . It did have rope marks we were told that meant it likely was hung over a Public Store as a display . To have seen the real Marine items taught me how to tell apart the real ones from the fakes .But this puzzels me . I was wondering if anyone had seen any Figureheads on ships tied by ropes only that had no holes in them. I always wondered if our Figurehead was from a ship or a store front . I do know it was really a neat thing to have around . But for Modeling I learned figure heads had holes drilled in them for the metal bolts or rods to hold them in place while in a rough Sea . Wonder if that is correct . Thanks for the web pages great reading too . This photo below is what our figure head was very very similar to only ,was faded (see photo ) had no arms and had rope marks around the waste with no holes in it .

Thanks for the information My brother has the Figure haed in Storage and he lives in another State . He is a Master builder and a Statesman . So I don't see him much anymore . I will try to see if Someone in My Family of 7 has any Photo's to share . Those Figureheads are wonderful what a history you have in Europe . America is new by comparison not as much History . I am glad to see there is still an interest in Old ships when we run out of Oil to make Gas and Fibergalss resins Maybe we will have a renewal of the old Ships . Thanks for Sharing !

Wow That is going to be great to see those photo's Someday I hope to get upto Boston and See the Constitution and take lots of photo's so if anyone needs anything close up they can let me know and I'll get it for them ! :) I hope I can get a photo of that figure head that is a great idea ! Thanks .Can't wait for the next coffee and tea Topic this is a great Forum idea !

Sjors,

I do not understand what you mean by the board attachment quota has been reached. I am not aware of such rule.

That's the figure head ? Andrew Jackson ? I didn't know about that one .I'll have to incorporate it into my Model . I'll be researching . Thanks For the Info .

Back