File for laser cut

Scratch to me means, starting from a plan, or a plan you conceived yourself. What tools you use, does not enter into the equation, neither does the materials involved.

Maybe the discussion is a bit ridiculous :) The term itself is screaming for different perceptions and arguments. I'm not sure but I guess the reason Dave called it semi-scratch is because the build contains premanufactured parts (produced by a third party).

Bordering the extremes you could outsource the production of every single part and then it would be a custom made kit.

At the extremes you could also outsource the build work and buy a totally finished custom made ship. Even then you could still argue that it is 100% scratch build - just not by you but someone else ROTF

At the grocery store you can also buy homemade cookies, homemade jam and homemade meatballs.

Maybe the discussion is a bit ridiculous :) The term itself is screaming for different perceptions and arguments. I'm not sure but I guess the reason Dave called it semi-scratch is because the build contains premanufactured parts (produced by a third party).

Bordering the extremes you could outsource the production of every single part and then it would be a custom made kit.

At the extremes you could also outsource the build work and buy a totally finished custom made ship. Even then you could still argue that it is 100% scratch build - just not by you but someone else ROTF

At the grocery store you can also buy homemade cookies, homemade jam and homemade meatballs.
Now you mentioned cookies I remembered a TV recipe on a morning show.
They were about to make chocolate eggs by melting chocolate bought from the supermarket. Then a guy asked:
-Why we do all this and not just buy one?
-Because this is homemade and we are sure of what's in it.
Anyway file was sent to shop. Thanks to valuable Dave's help hopefully frame will be cutted next week. Bulkheads are easy to cut by hand as thinner wood will be used. Something to kill my time during incoming lockdown.
Thank you very much!

OK THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS IN REALITY, KRIS IS DOING A SEMI SCRATCH FOR ME, WHAT HE AND I AM DOING IS THIS, HE IS DOING A JIG, FRAMES DREDGE WHEELS AND DECK BEAMS, I AM DOING ALL THE REST THAT IS VERY SIMPLE THAT IS WHAT I AND DAVE CALL SEMI-SCRATCH, ALSO KEEL AND KEELSON HE IS DOING I WAS GOING TO DO THE DECK BEAMS BUT DO TO PROBLEMS WITH AGE (82) I CAN NO LONGER DO THE NOTCHES PROPERLY SO ORDERED THAT SAME FOR KEEL AND KEELSON. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Chipping in from the side . . . to me scratch would be just that. . . what I can or could produce with MY OWN hands and skill and not outsourced. Maybe extreme view of a newbie who has not done a "scratch" build butt had a kit in some form to build from. PT-2 (Rich)
Well yes...outsourcing production could be the reason, but... let's get the timber as an example. How many of us have the ability to cut lumber? I mean from the tree: chop the tree and process until you will get the 4.00mm strips for planking. I know, this kinda the extreme example, but it shows that you cannot call your model a scratch-build unless you process timber with your own hands? Oh...almost forget to mention, you have to grow your own trees (before chopping) ;)

Muhaha. As I said, the term is screaming for arguments :)

BTW, about PT-2's remark "a newbie who has not done a scratch build butt". I regret that, but when I was a newbie I didn't know about contraception Redface

Last edited:
Yes, typos can get me into a whole lot of trouble. Maybe that is why I keep chlorophyll in my shoe polish as I have to pull my foot out of my mouth so often. If I don't make mistakes it is because I have not been doing anything. PT-2 (Rich)
Muhaha. As I said, the term is screaming for arguments :)

BTW, about PT-2's remark "a newbie who has not done a scratch build butt". I regret that, but when I was a newbie I didn't know about contraception Redface
at

Back