files

corradi files 12 extra quality 7.i inch lutier set for about 100 dollars cnd would that be a good set to get

The Corradi files are gold-standard quality for finish and fine filing. You need those fine needle files for finish work. But you also need something more aggressive for shaping. I highly recommend Perma-Grit files. They are a bit expensive, but they cut aggressively and last forever. I wouldn't be without them!

You mean this set?

I actually would look for some quality files with smaller cross section for work I do. I work in 1:100 scale and 6 mm wide section files Corradi offers in this set are way to large. Unfortunately I was never able to locate any quality needle files of a smaller section. I tried many times buying smaller section files on Amazon but every time I got some low quality garbage.

I checked the shipping to Canada for this set is 51 EURO! Bottom line is the set will cost about CAD200 at the end. Too much for set of needle files of size I rare use.

corradi files 12 extra quality 7.i inch lutier set for about 100 dollars cnd would that be a good set to get
Generally, Corradi is one of the trusted brand names made high-quality files. You have mentioned the Needle Files Extra Quality - 7.1″ - Luthiers' special set of 12

The set contained 12 needle files. They are four shapes: Euqalling, crossing, round, and half-round. Some of them have three different cuts, Cut 0 will be good to do aggressive work and cut #2 for fine\clean work.

• Needle Files Extra Quality - Equalling - 7.1″ - cut 0
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Equalling - 7.1″ - cut 1
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Equalling - 7.1″ - cut 2
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Crossing - 7.1″ - cut 0
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Round - 7.1″ - cut 0
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Round - 7.1″ - cut 1
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Round - 7.1″ - cut 2
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Halfround - 7.1″ - cut 0
  • Needle Files Extra Quality - Halfround - 7.1″ - cut 2
1639929077261.png

However, the set missing 'square' and 'triangle' shapefiles. If the shapes provided in this kit are sufficient for your work, then it will be a good buy! Highly suggested

You mean this set?

I actually would look for some quality files with smaller cross section for work I do. I work in 1:100 scale and 6 mm wide section files Corradi offers in this set are way to large. Unfortunately I was never able to locate any quality needle files of a smaller section. I tried many times buying smaller section files on Amazon but every time I got some low quality garbage.
Yep! That’s the set. That size would be perfect for me as I rarely work in scales smaller than 1:32, or occasionally 1:48.

And if the set is too expensive, these Corradi files can be ordered also separate - the reality is, that I am working daily with 2 types, weekely maybe with another 2 or 3 and with some I worked until now not once ......

1. You can buy needle files at Harbor freight for 3 bucks. These are probably not the highest quality, but they will do anything and everything a model ship builder will need to do. Files get dull and need to be replaced on a regular basis (1 to 2 years). Paying a fortune for small tolls that wear out does not make a lot of sense to me. Occasionally (when they have a good sale), I buy a handful that will last a few years.
2. Harbor Freight also has sets of "roughing" files. These file are used to remove a lot of woof quickly, You get 8 to 10 files of various shapes that will rough out a solid hull in very little time for about 10 bucks. I replace these files about every decade.
3. You do not need to spend a fortune on these small hand tools. Buy the cheap expendable tools and save your money for the really important stuff; like a Byrnes saw, or a Sherline mill, or a Bausch and Lomb binocular microscope, etc.

I'm sorry, Bill, but I have to disagree with you. It is an amateur approach, IMHO. Let's talk for a moment about the files in general: There are many manufactures who make files. But what would make a file one of a kind? I think, first of all, good quality steel! Hmm...a good quality, what the heck is this? Well, tools are generally made of 'tools' steel, it is not the same type of steel as for everything else. It is a special mix of cast iron and carbon which makes the steel 'cut' another steel. If you add more carbon to the mix, the tool will become brittle like glass, if you add less carbon, it will be soft and pliable. So... reputable companies know the proper proportions of a mix and keep in secrets for many years, which makes their tooling steel one of a kind. The good quality steel will last much longer and wear slow as apposite to cheap steel.
Let's discuss an average file set, they are darn cheap! Why? The answer is - they are made from very basic steel, not tooling steel. Often time not even hardened. Reputable companies will always put the steel grade on their tools. I don't think the small companies can afford to buy good material (it cost a lot of money), they buy cheap and sell cheap. Also, they are not using precision machines, equipment to make their tools. Why? For the same reason, they cannot afford good types of machinery - they are simply expensive to them. Therefore you have quality versus the cost.

I am using needle files which are 50 years old, they made in swiss by Grobbet- Valllorbe company. They still work as the one I recently bought (different size and shape). They will beat in performance and quality all of the cheap set. But the real deal will come when you answer yourself the question: How much I will spend on cheap files set in 50 years? I guarantee you, the good quality single set will be much cheaper than all money you spent on cheap sets.

My father, a very wise and sapient man, always told me: Son (he was talking to me) - I am not that wealthy enough to buy cheap...

But the choice is always yours, the one who has to open the wallet. ;)

Merry Christmas everyone
I use my Vallorbe files specifically for brass or steel, I use cheap ones on anything with white metal or solder.
I bought a set of 6 for about £18 about 10 years ago and they are still perfect, looking at £50 now, but still worth it.
At that price you WILL look after them!

Latest of my conversation with Corradi:

• The minimum order amount is (shipping charges excluded): 40 € for USA orders; 100 € for Canada orders.
  • We accept orders exclusively from USA and Canada.

Best regards
lFpcujbiUhxNBaiBEXI6A5eRaf7tUuRHggp3LAve1_vhzTPHE91S9N76XM5RL_IfXdIl2QTaRsuMtbWAZPTekuEjI8TohA7klZqnxA=s0-d-e1-ft

Sales Office​

CORRADI Shop

CORRADI shipping charges to Canada are 51 EURO. Minimum order would be CAD 225 x 1.03 = CAD 232 incl. euro conversion rate. I am out.

CORRADI shipping charges to Canada are 51 EURO. Minimum order would be CAD 225 x 1.03 = CAD 232 incl. euro conversion rate. I am out.
Obviously, the shipping charges are killers. But you don't have to buy directly from Italy, There should be Canadian distributors. Also, there are other good-quality needle files branded as Vallorbe Glardon (Swiss-made). Check out the local Jewelry stores, usually, you can find those there. They might be more expencive. Very good article about the needle files, IMHO. Check it out...

Back