Finished

I get a little busy, and I miss all this.
What to say?

Ab, I’m glad you had a happy birthday and I wish you your fill of joy until the next, and many more. Your attitude, expertise, and skill are always an inspiration. I hope you’re now getting caught up in your workshop.

Interesting to hear some inside perspectives on the Dutch replica projects. It’s a pity about the 7P. I hope such efforts continue. Always room to learn from past mistakes.

Meriadoc

This is my last three-masted ship model. Troubles with my eyes and hands force me to stop.
It was a real struggle this last year. I built four models for museum Kaap Skil in the isle of Texel. It needed a small fluit for the Northern waters, a pinas for the Mediterranean, an East Indiaman for Asia and a big fluit for the Atlantic trade. All four models were produced or finished during the past year.
View attachment 293729 View attachment 293731 View attachment 293730 View attachment 293732
For this last model i used the same design as for an earlier fluit, but in this case the ship was supplied with a beak head. I also wanted some action in the rigging so I took my inspiration from this Van de Velde painting, the ship de Liefde, shortly before the Four days Battle (1666) in which it was destroyed. I love to catch some wind in my sails.
View attachment 293733 View attachment 293734 View attachment 293735 View attachment 293736 View attachment 293737 View attachment 293738
View attachment 293739 View attachment 293740 View attachment 293741 View attachment 293742 View attachment 293743 View attachment 293744
The name of the ship was symbolically depicted on the taffrail and was inspired by a genuine 17th century Dutch fluit stern, stored somewhere in a Danish church or museum (perhaps one of you knows where?). It is 'Abraham's Offering', like so many ship's names referring to the biblical tale.
View attachment 293747 View attachment 293745
Thanks for all the likes over the past few years, maybe we see (work from) each other again in future, goodbye for now.
Ab
Hallo Ab alias @Ab Hoving
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

.​

All the best Ab, and be sure to get well soon. No one has given us as much knowledge as you have through your publications, and in my country you are simply synonymous with Dutch 17th century shipbuilding. Many, many thanks.

Waldemar

.​

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it very much. All those friendly words...
I just said goodbye to my family. Fantastic visit today, but now it's time to take some rest.
'And as much as I love them, I'm always kind of glad when they go away' (Randy Newman)

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate it very much. All those friendly words...
I just said goodbye to my family. Fantastic visit today, but now it's time to take some rest.
'And as much as I love them, I'm always kind of glad when they go away' (Randy Newman)
Congratulations belatedly also from me. Yes, eyes and hands are like the baton of a conductor. In old age, this sometimes becomes apparent without being asked.
"'And as much as I love them, I'm always kind of glad when they go away' (Randy Newman)" He is right ! Manfred

Thank you Manfred, it's good to know that you have only one birthday a year...
This is to be seen relatively. I have the dubious pleasure of being able to celebrate four birthdays, experience them in the truest sense of the word. The only advantage is that one experiences the days more intensely, happier and more respectfully. This is not a new insight, but it is true.

Four birthdays a year? Gee, how old are you?
My grandfather was born on February 29. He died at the age of 20...
Ultimately, this is not a question of age. 73, on some days also felt younger ;). Over the years since 1991, several resuscitations due to heart problems. The three most violent are "celebrated".

Back