Fitting a rudder

Can anyone help me in plain English without too many nautical terms that I won't understand, what is the best way to fit a rudder on a model. I have done it several times and always made a mess of it. I don't think it makes a difference but I am building the Occre Xebec Cazador.

I think if I tried to explain the procedure you would get quite confused. I suggest watching a utube video by Olha of this forum. She shows step by step how to do what you are looking for. Very talented modeler.

Mike:
Is like Whiskers said.
Check out all you can on you tube about this very intricate procedure.
In most of the models you will need to know a bit about soldering. In the other hand you can purchase already made pintles and gudgeons or maybe your model has them ready made.
In any case have lots of patience assembling in it and of course the videos on YouTube will help you achieve your goal.
When I did my first rudder it was very frustrating, so I can understand what you are going through.

Thank you for the link and comments. It is not making a rudder that is the problem, it is 'hanging' it properly on the ship but, having said that I think I have it sorted. It seems the important thing is to fix the parts on the rudder first and the attach them to the boat.

Can anyone help me in plain English without too many nautical terms that I won't understand, what is the best way to fit a rudder on a model. I have done it several times and always made a mess of it. I don't think it makes a difference but I am building the Occre Xebec Cazador.
I used to make my pintles and gudgeons for scratch builds by starting with a strip of copper (usually about 1/16"wide), bending it into a U-shape, drilling the legs for nails, cutting to length, and then soldering on a piece of 1/16" tubing at the bend to accept the pins. As you have shown, they fit into notches cut into the rudder. This is indeed a tricky procedure to do well and time consuming. I now hold the rudder in place against the hull and drill two spaced holes through the rudder and into the stern to accept a piece of brass rod. The pintles and gudgeons are made from blackened paper and are for appearance only - they have no structural purpose, The rudder is attached by inserting and gluing the rods in place. This procedure is illustrated in my current build log for the Dove in the scratch build forum.

Last edited:
Hallo @Mike Dowling
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back