Flag Making Technique

A very good idea neatly carried out.
Just a passing thought, but wouldn't it look more natural if the flag furled more diagonally in the wind?
There has to be a starting place and variations as you observe can always be worked out. Yes, only in the strongest of winds will the flag/banner be straight out and then possible whipping wildly. Otherwise, the weight of the material would pull the free end downwards. Plenty of opportunities ahead with this iron-on flag making technique preceding shaping. Rich (PT-2)

Perhaps, I thought since the flag hangs diagonally that would cover it. ;)
Maybe you could take a look at this talk in another topic we had some months ago:

Maybe you could take a look at this talk in another topic we had some months ago:
Thanks Uwe, I think I will try and add the diagonal to my current curves. Will post the results after I try that. Appreciate the link to the flag shaping discussion.

I also started using dowels to try making waves in flags, but straight vertical bends did not look right. Notice how the weight of the flag at the outboard end pulls the corner down and creates some more horizontal folds in the fabric? If you wet your flag with fabric softener and try to copy the shapes from these photos, the flag will appear more realistic. Also look at the angle of the waves. They are more diagonal, with the top ends of the waves angled toward the flagstaff. Sometimes a crinkle in the top outboard corner is all you need to add to the waves you already have in the flag. Thank Uwe for teaching me how to shape flags.

1610138196277.png1610138257088.png1610138386691.png

I also started using dowels to try making waves in flags, but straight vertical bends did not look right. Notice how the weight of the flag at the outboard end pulls the corner down and creates some more horizontal folds in the fabric? If you wet your flag with fabric softener and try to copy the shapes from these photos, the flag will appear more realistic. Also look at the angle of the waves. They are more diagonal, with the top ends of the waves angled toward the flagstaff. Sometimes a crinkle in the top outboard corner is all you need to add to the waves you already have in the flag. Thank Uwe for teaching me how to shape flags.

View attachment 204192View attachment 204193View attachment 204194
Yes, I’m also taking Uwe’s advice and adding a diagonal wave.

Back