Fore tack

I'm installing the boomkins on the Discovery so I'm researching the fore tacks. I found a couple of posts that said that the fore tack is the largest rope in the running rigging. Same size as the fore shrouds. This seems strange. With the wind from the stern it seems to me that the tacks would be quite lightly loaded. The sheets are 3/4 the size of the tack but they are doubled so in effect the sheets are "larger"(stronger?) than the tacks but still the tacks seem awfully large for their function. Am I missing something?

Since you never received an answer, I'll give my opinion. First, the sizes are documented well by zu Mondfeld and others, so should be correct. And as you say, the sheet lines are doubled, so they are twice as strong as the tacks. Of course, they are in constant use for keeping the sail in place, so that makes sense. As to the tacks being so large, a quick change in wind direction while sailing will put tremendous force and stress on the tacks, so it makes sense that they are strong. At first I wondered why tacks were even there, but feel that changes in wind direction is the reason. Even if the sail would not be harmed in such a direction change, the sail would be swept back, against rigging and possibly crew, so must be contained.

I hope this helps, a little.

Back