Free software for merging multiple images into one large image of plans and photos etc

I had a large ship construction plan I wanted to upload into my computer by only using my home A4 scanner. This produced about 33 x A4 sized images. The problem was how to compile them all into one computerized image of the whole plan.

There is software that does that, automatically, a software program from Microsoft, apparently not many people know about it, but it is excellent, and free. The program can be used for merging all sorts of images to produce panoramic images as a single file for all sorts of purposes.

The usual way of downloading it has been shutdown by Microsoft as they have retired the program, but it is still available in Microsoft archives as you will see via a post at the link below. You will have to download the *.msi file appropriate to your computer, 32 bit or 64 bit. Very easy to use with excellent results. Here is the link:

With the resultant composition of the 33 images I was able to upload a new single compiled image of the entire plan into TurboCad as a background for tracing.

Please note that each scan of a plan must be scanned to have a small overlap of every adjoining image to be scanned for the software to process correctly.

Back