Kit review French bomb vessel 'La Salamandre' (1758), Scale 1:96 by Miniature Arts

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Kit in review: La Salamandre (1758)
Plank On Frame model, full hull kit
by Miniature Arts

Here I am again...and happy to present another Plank On Frame model kit of French bomb ketch (galiote à bombes) La Salamandre by the company Miniature Arts.

1667691575930.png
The French bomb ketch Salamandre, 1752, by Derek G.M Gardner
The Vessel
Introduced into the French Navy in 1682 by Abraham Duquesne, the bomb ketch (galiote à bombes) was invented by Bernard Renau d’Eliçagaray and proved to be an infernal machine that had a particularly devastating effect on the Barbary coasts of Africa from the 1680s. They were first called galiote à bombe (a word derived from the Dutch galliot, denoting a short, beamy vessel well suited for the powerful downward recoil of its weapons). Five such vessels were used to shell Algiers in 1682 destroying the land forts, and killing some 700 defenders[.Two years later the French repeated their success at Genoa.
The ketch-rigged vessel was broad in the beam and had no foremast, to make room for the two heavy forward-pointing mortars fixed side-by-side on the foredeck. Stout hull construction distributed the shock the vessels would sustain when mortars were fired. To aim these weapons, the entire ship was rotated by letting out or pulling in a spring anchor. The range was usually controlled by adjusting the gunpowder charge. The French later adopted the word bombarde for this vessel, but it should not be confused with the horizontal fire, stone-throwing bombard of earlier centuries. These weighed about 200 pounds, compared with the 48-pound shot fired from the largest guns then in use. La Salamandre was built in 1752 at Toulon.

1667692859783.png
Technical Data

1667690831138.png
Designer and constructor Pierre-Alexandre-Laurent Forfait

Screenshot 2022-11-07 084638.png

The Kit
Scale:
1:48
Material: Pearwood, Ebony plywood, resin-printed, and Photoetched parts, brass and white metal casting barrels, and mortars.
Length Overall: 300.5mm
Height Overall: 80mm
Width Overall: 94mm

Lately, there seems to be a trend where kit manufacturers use Pearwood as the main material for the models. Here you will find an excellent selection of quality Pearwood in different thicknesses. All decorations are printed in white color resing. The kit also included one fret of PE parts for additional details. The berth will be assembled from plywood. All wooden parts are laser cut.

The box
The kit comes in a black corrugated box with dimensions of 37.0mm x 29.5mm x 6.0mm. A printed image with a built model on top of the box finishing the packaging.

600_3606.jpg 600_3607.jpg
600_3608.jpg

Sneaking inside the kit Box
Let's take a look at the contents of the kit. All wooden parts are bundled in bubble wrap and sealed with tape. Also, there are a few yellow bubble-wrap envelopes, one contained a plastic box with small accessories parts. Another content of the kit is the small MDF box that provided safe storage for all printed resin parts. Five sheets of plans, color-printed manual sheets, and all frames layout completed the kit contents.

600_3609.jpg
600_3611.jpg

All wood parts are bundled in a bubblewrap and sealed with tape
600_3613.jpg

The MDF accessory box with all resin-printed parts and two yellow envelopes, one of them contained a plastic box with accessories while another PE parts fret, brass wire, and a bundle of rope.
Acessories.png

Looking for individual parts of the kit

I already mentioned the trend of many kit manufacturers supplying Perwood, boxwood, and Ebony as the main timber for their models. I love working with the abovementioned timbers and call them the Magic Trio! But this review is not about my preferences and taste, this is about the La Salamadre kit by Miniature Arts, so let's continue discussing the kit's contents. All timber parts, including the plywood for berth assembly, are wrapped in a single bundle (you already saw in the above images). This is furthermore divided into another two packages separately wrapped and sealed with tape.
600_3614.jpg600_3624.jpg

Building jig assembly consists of 2.00mm laser-cut plywood. It is seemeth be a common method for many foreign kit manufacturers. This block type of assembly allows for avoiding any wrapping of materials. One of the ply boards consists of false bulwarks.
600_3617.jpg
Laser engraving notches for frame placement and easy part identifications.
600_3619.jpg
Here we have mini jigs for the frames shaping.
600_3620.jpg

To be continued in the next post...

Continue with the above post...

Plank On Frame model, full hull kit
by Miniature Arts

Main timber boards
It is worth saying that all frames designed for the kit don't require assembly. They come as a single piece with a laser-cut mark for beveling. I can justify this idea due to the small size of the frames, at the same time, it should simplify the assembly. Extra care should be taken while shaping those frames. Let's take a look at the timber boards where all those frames are located. I can admit a beautiful warm color from the Pearwood timber.
600_3629.jpg

Some of the details from sample boards. The laser-cut is clean, with no obvious burns, and cut thru the board. There are no visible knots from either side of the boards. Note the different wood tone\shades. While each computer screen will render its color slightly different from the images below, I can assure you the warm rose color of the SwisPear.
600_3631.jpg
Note the top and the middle board, it has cant-frame parts inside the actual frames. The frame representation number is burned into the board, and not the frame itself. You would need to take care of this later when removed from their board.
600_3636.jpg
600_3642.jpg

Check out some macro images, You can see the laser line following the curve of the frames. This is a beveling line, A great care should be taken while beveling frames, they are simply fragile.
Frame_Macro.png

Other timber boards represent various parts for assembly. The next 3 images below, consist of the keel, rudder beams, knees, and counter timbers. The keel, stem, and stern pieces are represented in a single piece. Both left and right parts glue together to achieve the required sickness. Again, the developer simplifies the process and represents stem pieces with a laser line instead of gluing them as different parts.
600_3644.jpg

The next three sheets represent various decks, bulwarks, and a simple, but elegant model stand. It will suit well the purpose it was designed for. Decks and bulwarks already scribed with laser lines to represent deck planking,
600_3645.jpg

The next set of timber boards consists of cant frames, those are the ones that will be shaped with plywood jigs, as we discussed earlier. One of the boards has gun carriages parts, gratings, and water pump parts. I can identify them on the left side. Most of the parts provided in the kit don't require heavy modifications, they are ready after char cleanup.
600_3648.jpg

Here I have some macro images
600_3676.jpg
600_3677.jpg
600_3678.jpg
600_3689.jpg
600_3691.jpg
600_3684.jpg
600_3685.jpg

The last set of timber boards are mostly strips of various thicknesses and widths. You will use them to task the hull and deck planking.
600_3649.jpg

You would probably wonder what timber should represent wales and plankshire. Well, you will find 2 black timber boards, Those are Ebony, I believe, they are somewhat heavy and jet-black in color. I have a hard time photographing those but was able to achieve some results.
600_3652.jpg
Some macro views
600_3674.jpg 600_3675.jpg
600_3693.jpg

I believe, the timber boards are well represented with clean and thru cuts, the boards are very good and clean boards without imperfections and knots. Will discuss and review accessories next
600_3655.jpg

to be continued in the next post...

Last edited:

Plank On Frame model, complete hull kit
by Miniature Arts

The Accessories

Unlike other kits, La Salamandre doesn't have too many. Mostly because of her (model )size where some of the details would be impossible to show, while others are relatively tinny to display. But even with a small size as she is, the accessories in the kit are very good quality and will add to the model. Let's start with the small MDF box. This box is responsible for the safety of all resin parts while transporting.
600_3660.jpg
600_3738.jpg
All parts are printed on a single...board? sheet? not sure what to call this. They are transparent\white color. All prints are very crisp and detailed but also very fragile. On top along the board are gun ports, the figurehead of Salamadre, and two mortars. BTW, going a bit ahead there are two white cast metal mortars as well, provided. Choose the one you like most.
600_3739.jpg
600_3741.jpg
600_3742.jpg
600_3750.jpg
600_3745.jpg
Oh...and the figure of the scale man
600_3737.jpg

The rest of the accessories come in two yellow envelopes. One has a plastic box inside, another contains PE parts fret, black rigging rope, and brass wire of various diameters.
600_3665.jpg600_3663.jpg

Let's get some of the details of each envelope. The plastic box was the first to bring my attention. Here are all the treasures inside that box: 2 metal castings of 2 12" Sea service mortars, brass beads to represent the shells, 8 brass barrels for 8th pounder guns, a miniature brass\blackened chain, a bag of brass eyebolts, two bags of different sizes of nails, and a wooden dowel.
600_3721.jpg

Not too many but...take a look at all this in detail. La Salamander has 2 x 12" sea service mortars. Miniature Arts, give us a choice to use either resin printed or casting. Both of them are good quality to the scale.
600_3722.jpg 600_3730.jpg

Eight brass CNC-turned 8-pounder barrels. They are only 22.00 mm long :cool:
600_3724.jpg 600_3725.jpg

Small bags contents, brass nails, eyebolts, and a chain
600_3731.jpg
IMG_2568.JPEG

Another envelope keeps a stash for PE fret, brass wires, a coil of 0.3 diameters of black fishing line, and black cable laid rope (for anchor). I hope The Miniature Arts will read my review where I want to express my concern about packaging PE parts in the envelope, even if that was a bubble wrap envelope, it doesn't survive some bending. Hope the next kit they will put the PE parts between plywood parts to be on the safe side.
600_3707.jpg

some details of PE fret. I have to play with the light and background to make an image sharp
600_3708.jpg

The rope, brass wire, and the coil of the phishing line. Click on each image to enlarge it,
600_3716.jpg 600_3717.jpg 600_3718.jpg

This should be it for the accessories review. Not too many but... enough to enhance details in this scale. I'm still wondering why there is a coil of fishing lines. I think to represent treenails, perhaps?

We left only to review the documentation that comes with the kit, and it will be next, so don't go too far

to be continued...

Plank On Frame model, complete hull kit
by Miniature Arts

The Documentation

As part of the documentation bundle that comes with the kit, there are step-by-step color photo instructions on 4 sheets printed on both sides. 5 sheets of the plans in 1:1 scale, one sheet of the stickers to shape the cant\hawse frames, one sheet overview of all the frames, and 0.17mm black vinyl sheet. Showing the sample plans sheet first.

Both stickers and frames layout sheets
600_3757.jpg
600_3756.jpg
...and the manual. In my opinion, it needs improvement. For the most part, it is the only drawback of the entire kit. My understanding is that the main target market for this kit was the Chinna, and all the step-by-step photo instruction was written in the Chinese language. Later Miniature Arts added English translation. The good news, it is NOT a Google translation and was translated by a professional, as far as I can see. Still, I would love to see better-written instructions with some explanation in detail. It will benefit all, more International modelers will be interested in this kit. Here are some page examples.

1667787640985.png
1667787685672.png
1667787822297.png

In the end, I would like to show the ready model images so you can get an impression of what model you can make using this kit. This kit doesn't come with the rigging parts, but should you choose to make a full rigging model, you will have to scratch build.

1667788778239.png
1667788807599.png

1667788588429.png
1667788613964.png
1667788648733.png 1667788704350.png

The Conclusion

Miniature Arts presented a well-designed POF kit of the French bomb vessel of La Salamandre in scale 1:96. Considering the small size of the model, the kit presented with one piece keel, including the stem, stern, and deadwood as one unit. Frames are a single unit and required only beveling. Detailed internal structure. As the highlight, I'd like to point to the Swiss Pearwood as the main timber and simplifying method of assembly. I hope to see the next kit by Miniature Arts with a better instruction manual. The kit can build a very nice model and it will not take up much space on your shelf.

If you consider this kit for your next project, you can visit the page below

The kit price is $295 and shipping is included in the price

I hope this was informative to you and Happy Modeling! Until then so long...

Last edited by a moderator:
A very interesting ship and model :cool:
- and a very good review -> many thanks my friend

Hello,

these plans are the complete copy of the monograph of the company "Ancre".
The drawings are exactly the same!
There is no reference to this monograph.
Could this be an illegal copy?

Bernard

Hello,

these plans are the complete copy of the monograph of the company "Ancre".
The drawings are exactly the same!
There is no reference to this monograph.
Could this be an illegal copy?

Bernard
Thank you for your message, Bernard. We will contact the designer to verify based on what research material this model was made.

Thanks, John. I got the translation, but not sure what it has to do with outrageous Chinese.
Maybe he is saying that it's Outrageous of the Chinese for copying it, that is if they have, they might have permission who knows,
Best regards John,

I am sorry, Kerz Atao F14800, as I stated earlier in the post, we are contacting the designer to verify. I would like to ask you, however, in the future, to avoid tagging all Chinese as outrageous.

On the one hand it’s small enough that I can find room for it (a major consideration in my house). On the other hand, can I manipulate parts that are so small? And I sure would like good English instructions. Do you think they’ll improve them?

I am sorry, Kerz Atao F14800, as I stated earlier in the post, we are contacting the designer to verify. I would like to ask you, however, in the future, to avoid tagging all Chinese as outrageous.
Hello,
My reaction was a little quick and my remarks, certainly a little brutal and generalist, were aimed at the method and not at the people of this country.
That said, to be sure, I inquired at Ancre to have confirmation of Bernard Huc's comments.
The publisher's response is: ''Yes, this is a copy without permission and without royalties to the author''
Best regards.

Bonjour,
Ma réaction a été un peu rapide et mon propos, certes un peu brutal et généraliste, visait la méthode et non les personnes de ce pays.
Cela dit pour en avoir la certitude je me suis renseigné chez Ancre pour avoir la confirmation des propos de Bernard Huc
La réponse de l'éditeur est la suivante : '' Oui, c'est une copie sans autorisation et sans royalties à l'auteur ''
Meilleures salutations.

On the one hand it’s small enough that I can find room for it (a major consideration in my house). On the other hand, can I manipulate parts that are so small? And I sure would like good English instructions. Do you think they’ll improve them?
I really hope, they will read the review, and make improvements, and corrections.

Back