French war-ship Saint-Philippe 1693 - scale 1/72 - from Lemineur monograph

Bonjour Chris,

I'm afraid I didn't quite follow your endeavors with regards to rigging, did you now select a single-source set of drawings for your rigging?
For my own build I had similar choices to make; the conclusion being that one needs to select "one single-source of truth", to avoid getting mixed up in way too much contradicting information. The appropriate scale would have been nice, but a calculator works wonders with dimensions of about everything. (I work from 1:65 drawings, convert everything to 1:72.)
Good luck with your rigging!

Sincèrement,

Johan

Last edited:
Test about a 6 mm lenght feedle-block :

View attachment 393236
I am afraid, mon ami, but this is not fiddle block. Here are the Feedle blocks for your reference. In some cases, fiddle blocks were used instead of double blocks. Alternatively, two single blocks were stropped together, one larger and one smaller, and one above the other They have two parts with shaves and look like violins, They are often times called Violin blocks.

1694038782030.png

Violin block is in upper position, but in low, it was like my test, a double sheaved block,
but It also existed a fiddle version with two double sheaved blocks and a free fall rope :

Gréement G.jpg

Last week, I ordered on line the necessary material (I have any stock of adapted blocks)

The pendants I've shown in my precedent post were served (including their final bight) :

Gréement Q.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks

I have this 1/96 scaled draw of the model's rigging

After the monograph, there is no violin block for principal fiddle, only two opposite blocks with three sheaves each

I confused the winding-tackle (caliorne) with a fore-tackle (candelette) as WzM had mistaken it in his encyclopedia

Sorry, I will correct this enormous error...

Back