Frigate Neptunus by Chapman

For a long time I have been looking for diferent ships from the late 17th century to early 18th century. The idea is to keep small because I have not to much space to work. I have Gerard Piouffre book about L'Aurore, as well as the HMS Success plan. But I hace across the Chapman's plans of the Neptunus light frigate. In this case is smaller than the previous ships, less than 80 feet, and it looks beauty! Whats is not clear to my is whether the ship had a forecastle, it is not indicated in the plan, or I don't see it. I guess should heve it, I wish someone could help me. Thank you!

Attachments

• neptunus chapman.JPG
    neptunus chapman.JPG
    241.9 KB · Views: 63
If there was a forecastle deck, than without guns. Take a look at the table - see LVII

Unbenannt.JPG

You can find a bigger size drawing of the privateer Neptunus here on this page

Fredrik Henrik af Chapman, Architectura Navalis Mercatoria

and this guy interpreted the drawing also without one

and here you can find an contemporary drawing of the Neptunus 1720 with some slight differences to the Archtictura Navalis Mercatoria

f25t6638p143168n8_NdZkGsVE.jpg

from the museum

and here you have three additional contemporary drawings of the Neptunus

Hi Uwek, thank you very much for your quick reply. I already knew the version in that forum (Pyratesahoy) without the forecastle, and the truth is that I don't like it. It is an interpretation obviously but the cathead looks horrible in this reconstruction. I think a small forecastle would not look bad, and that would make the cat heads look better. Once again, thank you so much!

Uwek, You're making things harder for me ;). The figurehead is very different and the perforations for the oars do not appear, however the table lists 9 pairs. It is strange because ships of that size used to have oars. Thank you so much!

Howard Chapelle shows the two versions of the same ship, perhaps a compromise between these two versions would have to be reached, although the top drawing seems more realistic to me. Also Frank Howard points out that on small ships it was common for the figurehead to be simple.

Attachments

• NeptunusChapelle.png
    NeptunusChapelle.png
    507.6 KB · Views: 52
  • frank howard 219.jpg
    frank howard 219.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 51
WAY TO GO UWE, WAY TO GO, MY POINT EXACTLY, YOU GOT IT, WELL WILL FOLLOW THIS WITH INTERESTS MY SKILLS AT THIS STAGE DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO BUILD THIS BUT WITH VERY, VERY KEEN INTERESAT WILL FOLLOW THIS ONE, THANK YOU AGAIN UWE, AND CARLOS FOR PICKING THIS ONE, LOVE IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

This is a very good model!! In which scale you built her?
You could show us the model in much more photos, maybe at this place, so we could add the model in the gallery

WAY TO GO UWE, WAY TO GO, MY POINT EXACTLY, YOU GOT IT, WELL WILL FOLLOW THIS WITH INTERESTS MY SKILLS AT THIS STAGE DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO BUILD THIS BUT WITH VERY, VERY KEEN INTERESAT WILL FOLLOW THIS ONE, THANK YOU AGAIN UWE, AND CARLOS FOR PICKING THIS ONE, LOVE IT. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON
Thanks Don, I hope to be building this model soon, I'm already working on the drawings.
I love looking at the plans in Chapman's book and some years ago decided to try building a model from them. I've always admired the Neptunus plans but she had too much carving to tempt me. I settled on one of the other frigates shown in plate 33, number 2. Here are a couple of pix should anyone be interested.
Attach filesView attachment 234818View attachment 234819
Thank you very much, could you upload a picture of the bow? Congratulations on the model, it is beautiful

Thanks Don, I hope to be building this model soon, I'm already working on the drawings.

Thank you very much, could you upload a picture of the bow? Congratulations on the model, it is beautiful
I didn't take many pictures of this model but do have one of the bow which is below. While I was looking at the photos, I thought the ones of the guns may be of interest. Chapman shows plans for an innovative swiveling cannon. I made the carriages per his plans and added one run out and one in storage on the model as pictured in the photos. I left part of the deck open so the cannons could be seen as indicated in the photo of the deck. Hope this was useful.bow.jpggun1.jpggun2.jpgdeck.jpg

This is a very good model!! In which scale you built her?
You could show us the model in much more photos, maybe at this place, so we could add the model in the gallery

I think it is 1/64. I added some photos in a response to Carlos just before this reply.

For a long time I have been looking for diferent ships from the late 17th century to early 18th century. The idea is to keep small because I have not to much space to work. I have Gerard Piouffre book about L'Aurore, as well as the HMS Success plan. But I hace across the Chapman's plans of the Neptunus light frigate. In this case is smaller than the previous ships, less than 80 feet, and it looks beauty! Whats is not clear to my is whether the ship had a forecastle, it is not indicated in the plan, or I don't see it. I guess should heve it, I wish someone could help me. Thank you!
Hallo @carlosmanuel
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo @carlosmanuel
Birthday-Cake
How is your research going?

Hallo @carlosmanuel
Birthday-Cake
How is your research going?
Thank you Uwe for your regards! Sorry for the delay in responding, here in the South it is vacation time. The Neptunus frigate project was started based on Chapman's drawings, but unfortunately it has been shelved for the time being. I think that out of five projects that I personally face, one reaches port.
Kind regards

Hallo @carlosmanuel
Birthday-Cake

Back