Frigates Columbia and Raritan [COMPLETED BUILD]

My congratulations for finishing the Raritan - Very impressive model
Thumbsup

Thank you, although, it is not quite done. Needs cannon on main gun deck, gun ports, anchors, rope coils, and ship's boats.

Rigging of the Columbia is done (blue back ground). The other 6 photos are of the two ships together. The Raritan being the other one. working on anchors, gun port doors, and ship's boats for both now.

View attachment 317239

View attachment 317240

View attachment 317241

View attachment 317242

View attachment 317243

View attachment 317244

View attachment 317245

View attachment 317246

View attachment 317247

View attachment 317248

View attachment 317249

View attachment 317250

View attachment 317251

View attachment 317252
simply wonderful work :) Okay

I don't know if this will interest you, being your models are mostly complete, though it wouldn't be a major job to retro-fit this information if you were so inclined...

In researching the rigging for my Constellation (an RC sailing model), specifically how the braces were run, I noted in photos that the main tops'l braces seem to anchor on the mizzen in different places depending on the position of the mizzen tops'l yard. It was apparent that rather than being fixed to the mizzen stay as I thought, they were fix to a ring, or a large hank on the mizzen topmast that slid up and down on top of the mizzen tops'l yard's parrel and changed the lead somewhat, of the main tops'l brace depending on whether sail was set or not. I saw this set-up not only in photos of Constellation, but practically every ship rigged US warship where it could be seen. I eventually found references in Luce.
braces_luce68.jpg braces_luce63.jpg

On Saratoga with split tops'ls:
saratoga_main_topsl_brace.jpg
Constellation
main_topsl_brace2.jpg main_topsl_brace3.jpg main_topsl_brace.jpg

How I implemented it on my Constellation for the moment...
con20180623j.jpg

Rigging methods did change over time. The construction period of the ships I have built so far, with the exception of the United States, was between 1815 and the mid 1840's. I used rigging methods similar to that era, from drawings and photos of the Constitution and from rigging/sail plans provided with the plans I purchased from the Smithsonian. (I have not done the Merrimack yet, and her rigging will be very different than any of my other ships.) The reference you provided is dated in the 1860's at a time when photography was much more common and therefore ship rigs of that time were easily seen. I have my doubts that the ship's burned at Gosport in April of 1861 would have been rigged in that manner. By the 1860's ship rigging was much more standardized. Metal fittings were beginning to be more common such as the yard hardware after the 1860's. Ship rigs were also influenced by the preferences of their captains even to the moving of masts. Masts were taller and many ships had gone to a fifth yard.

Congratulations from my side for finishing this two amazing models - Well done
and now? any next prokect(s) on the working table?

Plymouth and Dolphin. Just started squaring/lining up and gluing bulkheads to the keel of the Merrimack.

Plymouth and Dolphin. Just started squaring/lining up and gluing bulkheads to the keel of the Merrimack.

Many Thanks for the info
Here the links to the new started building logs:
and

Back