From Evanston, IL USA

Well I have finally got around to introducing myself after joining SOS in November! New to ship modeling after having spend time as an academic-- Spanish literature. Finished my first beginner's attempt of an 18th century Longboat. Looking forward to next build of Darwin's ship the Beagle (kit by Mamoli) and off in the future a Spanish 16th or 17th century ship that I haven't decided on as of yet. Looking forward to learning from all your expertise and impressive builds.

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum

The Beagle looks like a nice kit. Which longboat did you make?

I echo Uwe’s welcome aboard. My experience with the help, critique and build knowledge of Forum members has been excellent. As Uwe would say “ausgezeichnet”.

Well I have finally got around to introducing myself after joining SOS in November! New to ship modeling after having spend time as an academic-- Spanish literature. Finished my first beginner's attempt of an 18th century Longboat. Looking forward to next build of Darwin's ship the Beagle (kit by Mamoli) and off in the future a Spanish 16th or 17th century ship that I haven't decided on as of yet. Looking forward to learning from all your expertise and impressive builds.
welcome!!

Looking forward to next build of Darwin's ship the Beagle (kit by Mamoli)
Greetings Geraldo,
I am hoping to wrap up my build Mamoli's Black Prince soon, and moving on to Mamoli's HMS Beagle soon. That will only be my second build as well, so if you put up a log, I'll be watching it closely. Hope to see you around and watch your progress.
Cheers and welcome!
Eric

Hello Eric,
Good to hear from you. An update...I decided not to build the Mamoli version of the HMS Beagle and returned the kit. Instead I have purchased a kit of the Beagle from the Spanish company "Ocre". After reading Keith Thomson's HMS Beagle: The Story of Darwin's Ship I realized I wanted to try something a little more accurate in its design. Having finished a beginner's project of an 18th century Long boat I thought I would take some of the things I learned about planking on bulkheads and alter the Ocre kit to build up from the keel and create original bulkheads for the planking. There are examples I have come across from some very talented ship builders who have constructed a model of the Beagle from scratch, using Cad software to design and print out the plans! It appears they also used Karl Heinz Marquardt's book HMS Beagle Survey Ship Extraordinary: Anatomy of the Ship. That is a little beyond me at this stage of my learning curve.
--Gary

The Beagle looks like a nice kit. Which longboat did you make?
Hello Sulaire, The Longboat was a kit from Model Shipways with excellent Instructions and prototype prepared by Chuck Passaro. I really learned a lot with this as my first project and am leaning a lot from members of SOS and their posts!! --Gary

Back