furniture

and for an asshat insult of a reply i wonder why i even bothered to ask.

christ, the cross i have to bear with stupid people should end when i leave work.
That is a really aggravated response, but... if you feel I insulted you in my reply, I really apologize. We are an international forum, and some translations could be interpreted wrong, though. It was just humor...

and for an asshat insult of a reply i wonder why i even bothered to ask.

christ, the cross i have to bear with stupid people should end when i leave work.
We joke around here a lot. You are welcome to give as good as you get. I will be installing miniature furniture in my galleries at 1:72 scale, and it all has to be made from scrap hardwood of fine grain, such as maple or cherry. Printed paper can be used to simulate fancy carpets. The best example I have seen of interior furniture thus far has been in the galleries of Doris Obručová's model of HMS Sovereign of the Seas. Her scratch built model used wood, fabric, and printed paper for the furnishings and the deck, bulkheads and overhead were lined with wood textured vinyl. The ship is larger than average, making it possible to create the furniture with good detail.

HMS Sovereign of the Seas by Doris Obručová
1649863798264.png

1649863697607.png

1649863721407.png

1649863762794.png

We joke around here a lot. You are welcome to give as good as you get. I will be installing miniature furniture in my galleries at 1:72 scale, and it all has to be made from scrap hardwood of fine grain, such as maple or cherry. Printed paper can be used to simulate fancy carpets. The best example I have seen of interior furniture thus far has been in the galleries of Doris Obručová's model of HMS Sovereign of the Seas. Her scratch built model used wood, fabric, and printed paper for the furnishings and the deck, bulkheads and overhead were lined with wood textured vinyl. The ship is larger than average, making it possible to create the furniture with good detail.

View attachment 302846

View attachment 302843

View attachment 302844

View attachment 302845
a very good example you are showing us here
Important is maybe also the information for @tball4217 - Doris is building her models out of paper and cardboard
So also her Sovereign of the Seas is a cardboard model!!!
But also important to say, that Doris is one of the best modeler I know

View attachment 302846

View attachment 302843

View attachment 302844

View attachment 302845

so any source of decent plans for model furniture online? Wasnt expecting to need to build the furniture, but at this point the scale dollhouse furniture is so horribly jokey,,, even my bad work is better

so any source of decent plans for model furniture online? Wasnt expecting to need to build the furniture, but at this point the scale dollhouse furniture is so horribly jokey,,, even my bad work is better
Doll house furniture is typically 1:12 scale....not typical as far as model ship scales are concerned.

Try some of the many online model railroad sites, there are different scales.

Internet searches can find scale furniture for applications other than ship modeling that can be adapted to model ships. There was nothing unique about furniture placed in the Captain’s cabin. For example, furniture for ” architectural” modeling. The trouble will be finding something in scale and in period which is why we scratch build furniture. Let us know what you find…
Edit: I forgot to mention 3D printing. There are a number of on line sources of STL files for 3D printing of period and scale furniture. Try, for example, Cgtrader. 3D printing is probably the best option if you want to do extensive interior modeling and you are not confident with scratch building…of course this assumes you have, or are willing to get, a 3D printer. :)
Edit again: Oh, and try thingiverse.com. They have all kinds of STL files and then there’s Shapeways. They do have actual printed items you can buy but you might not be able to find the item you want in the scale you need.

Last edited:

View attachment 302846

View attachment 302843

View attachment 302844

View attachment 302845
Does IKEA have a modelling department? Ha Ha!

my needs are small scale small sized furniture i can use to create a room scene and then use a macro lens to create a still life from.

many many years ago, perhaps 1995, i inherited several 24x36 calenders of outdated years, that i turned into the room sketches of a complete dollhouse. Twas bored and such, needed something do do when not in school. Drafting at the time was mechanical at school.

I took up photography in 2018 as a means to keep my mind active, ive had enough hand injuries that fine work for a model is not something i want to try any time soon to be honest. i loved plastic kits in middle school and highschool, never got to build my first wood kit before my first hand/arm injury started leaving me less then able. even after 21 years i need to use two hands to use a ruler on a drafting board.

Human photography has been a no go, a serious no go. Not due at all to Covid. All due to fakes, flakes, and politics. Who would have thought that a potential "model" would consider a person a "rapist sexist pig" because I referenced her to websites using photos of women with smaller dimensions to illustrate photo ideas.

I like those shots by Doris of her model. id like to create a still life scene of that quality and work with it. Although i would use different props, etc

Back