Future Members

I suspect that many on this forum, like me, dabbled with model ship making in their tender years and have resumed the hobby as a retirement activity. But I wonder where are they who will do the same when they retire 40-50 years from now?
Model ship building cultivates a useful range of skills in young people. For a modest outlay on basic tools it involves sawing, cutting, shaping, smoothing and drilling. Although on a small scale, these basic functions scale up later to be applied to general DIY activities when maturing to a home owner. There is no need for a dedicated workshop: a small table (protecterd by a cutting mat!) will suffice. Measuring, cutting, following a digram are additional skills applicable to later projects. On a less tangible note it teaches patience (tying ratlines!) and a realisation that a satisfying outcome does not come the next day but must be worked on over a period of time. For those with a practical, rather than academic bent it can earn admiration for something achieved when exam results disappoint. It could well develop into a general interest in ships and the famous voyages of Columbus, Drake, Magellan et al so a bit of geography and history beyond the (boring) scholol syllabus gets thrown in. The Ships of Scale forum would, of course, provide excellent help and support for a budding modeller.
How, then, do we get more young people involed in our hobby rather than zapping aliens, raiding virtual tombs or clicking coloured bricks together?

Tough question to answer. The interest in model ships is really a cultural and generational thing. Some of the newer generation naturally have a love of ships and the sea as their manifestation of dreams of adventure. Having family with a nautical background and living for years aboard ships, building ships models came naturally. To create a rigged ship model takes lots of work, and the push-button instant gratification of today's entertainment often prevents people today from discovering the joy of creating something that requires study, dedication and craftsmanship. Movies often create inspiration, from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Captain Blood (I'm dating myself) to Master and Commander. There will always be a few who grow a love of ship models. More and more are finding their way here all the time.

As in everything else there is the factor of evolution. Futute generations may not be building ship models out of wood on a table but rather creating ships in vertical reality. Aside from the skill and knowledge to create a vertical ship you need to know the structure of what your are creating along with its history. In the future of this hobby you may be able to walk the decks, sit in the captains cabin, fire the cannons etc.
When i build a model ship i can not share it unless you come to my place to actually see it, future models will be posted on a forum where anyone in the world can experence it.
tools of the hobby are already evolving from jig saws, table saws disk sanders to computers, 3D printers, lasers. I see in the future model builders sharing files , a kit is not a box of wood strips and parts it will become a downloadable set of printable files.

I grew up in my grandfathers woodshop. And my father at the time was well-known for his car models and brass locomotives. I sat at the workbench freely using the tools and always encouraged. I had wood and metal shop available in the 7th grade. Much later I joined the carpenter's union, evolving into finish carpentry and furniture making/historical restoration.
I say all this because our current generations don't seem to have the same engagements many of us had available growing up. Ikea furniture assembly at home is a big step for many.
Expecting everything to be immediate - satisfaction is in having, not creating. But that's just an old carpenter's opinion.

my daughter is a teacher so i still have contact with what goes on in schools these days. Back when i was in school there was shop classes working with wood and woodworking tools. today those shop classes are gone and replaced with high tech printers and computers and laser cutters. My grandsons took classes in robotics created parts in CAD converted those parts into 3D STL print files. Designed and built robots and entered them in competition and took 1st place in the state.
the times they are changing

Expecting everything to be immediate - satisfaction is in having, not creating.

i totally do not agree wth that can you sit down create a robot for competition, design the parts in CAD, then fabricate those parts, then build the bot and program it? let me tell you a 16 year old kid can do it.
yes it is true that kid may not sit down and hack away at a piece of wood but the thinking, creativity, hands on building is all there and it is impressive.

what these kids can do with a model of a ship or bridge or plane will blow you out of the water. give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:
How, then, do we get more young people involed in our hobby rather than zapping aliens, raiding virtual tombs or clicking coloured bricks together?

oh really!

my 3 grand sons are now college grads and guess what they played with those colored plastic bricks when the were young. What are they today? #1 in a civil engineer and #2 Architecture and Design #3 he creates 3D modeling. and their best friend designs Prostatic BioRobotics

i guess those old school shop classes being replaced might of been a good idea. and playing with plastic bricks was a stepping stone for the buildings you walk around in today. oh and zapping aliens turned into creating 3D architecture used for construction and engineering.

i design and build models and where do i go for advice my grandsons

to quote Pink Floyd " all in all it's just another brick in the wall" so leave those kids alone

Dave, You have a beautiful family linage, and you are right to be so proud. I have been blessed the same - my daughter is a screenwriter, son is a talented violist. Neither one is swinging a hammer. But, they own tools and know how to use them.

I'm in my 34th year working in critical care/trauma. I'm also a writer.. Where do I go when I need help editing - My daughter.

Looks like we're both blessed men.

Back