General naval architecture question

Hello everyone.
I have a basic question about ships vs modeling. I see that most kits have, for expediencey, have a full keel arrangement, where the "bulkheads" slot into it, so you can lay planking over. On an actual real ship, the hull is open, so there must be some sort of joist and beam arrangement. Can anyone tell me what those are so I can go read about them?

This book is excellent for showing the framing and fittings on English sailing ships of war. But if you don't want to spend $60, take a look at some of the build logs for ship models made in the Admiralty style (no hull planking, showing framing, no masts or rigging). These models were originally design to serve as demonstrations to the Admiralty or Royalty of a proposed ship to be constructed, and show all the details of the hull timbers. Admiralty models are among the most complex since their aim is to demonstration timber structure. Both books below are must-haves for ship modelers.

1685409125372.png

The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War: 1650-1850 Hardcover

1685409290499.png

Another book which is more basic but shows all features of ships from multiple nations is:

Historic Ship Models - Wolfram zu Mondfeld

1685409261830.png

1685408723695.png

My current model has internal features for supporting the decks as if you were on board, and the frames are not visible because they are between the inner and outer layers of hull planking. Below is an older picture with half of the ledges (the thin transverse deck supports) installed for the middle gun deck, which is in progress. This ship will not be an Admiralty model, but a complete hull including masts, rigging, and sails. It is based off a kit, but 90% of it will end up being scratch built. Modelers who have complete outer planking usually do not make the effort to create the entire internal structure like this because it would be hidden by the planking and decks. I did this just for fun.
617 Progress So Far.jpg

Last edited:
Back