Getting Old

We're all getting older. Some of us are "getting old." And some of us must admit that we are old. As we start a new ship model or a new process of a current build we may wonder if our fingers can do what's needed, our eyes are sharp enough, our brains can still function well enough.
Recently a loss in my life opened up a room in my home that I could dedicate for a ship modeling workshop. In moving all of my ship modeling stuff to the new central location I continually discovered tools, equipment, books, stuff that I had forgotten I had. A few things I discovered I would have sworn I had never seen before.
Moving your stuff or not it may be a good idea to take an inventory once and a while.
I hope your new year goes well,
Jim Lyon

We're all getting older. Some of us are "getting old." And some of us must admit that we are old. As we start a new ship model or a new process of a current build we may wonder if our fingers can do what's needed, our eyes are sharp enough, our brains can still function well enough.
Recently a loss in my life opened up a room in my home that I could dedicate for a ship modeling workshop. In moving all of my ship modeling stuff to the new central location I continually discovered tools, equipment, books, stuff that I had forgotten I had. A few things I discovered I would have sworn I had never seen before.
Moving your stuff or not it may be a good idea to take an inventory once and a while.
Jim Lyon
I'm a widower age 73 parenting an adult handicapped son. I have to make choices. We're moving. That means a 'fresh' start with a room dedicated my models. I do things slowly with NO time constraints beause I focus now on the process of building and not so much the end product. If I finish it, fine. If I don't, no sweat.

Dear Jim, I'm very sorry for your loss !
within the framework of the proverb that teaches us that at every end there is a new beginning, I wish you that it will be a refreshing and empowering beginning

Jim Lyon
Yep, a hard reality to face, Jim. At 74, 6+ years removed from a triple bypass, & starting on a Victory, i told one grandson, ha, if I kick it'll be up to him to finish her.

I am sure that your circumstance is difficult due to the variables you mentioned. However, do you mind expressing your age here?

I to am sorry to hear about your loss. As you have suggested, every now and then, I do go through the drawers of equipment and supplies. Often times a "there it is" or a "oh right I have that" goes through my mind.

May your new year also go well!

Rob

Sorry for you loss. May your hobby bring you some peace.

I find that my fingers aren't as nimble as they once were, and my eyes not as sharp. But I've found ways around those physical changes in my capability... I may use a needle threader more than I used to before, and have much appreciation for my "cheater" reading glasses, but overall the process (and the enjoyment) remains the same. It just takes me a bit longer to get to the finish line than it did when I was thirty. :)

I also share sorrow at your loss but, try to search for peace with what's ahead for you and your son. And pray, talk to God or friends on this forum- it helps. I text with LakeDaisy once in awhile, he's a good man who lost his wife recently also. Heck, I bought a saw from him last year, he not only lowered the price but sent me blades for it AND sent me a kit, paints, extras upgrades for that kit plus the Bob Hunt practicum! Didn't need to do that- he did! I grew up with very little, that was one of the nicest things i ever received, and i'm 62! That all started with a simple coversation....
As for cleaning up your shop, moving things around, creating a new work space, I've recently discovered I own over 1200 exacto #11 blades! AND telling myself to change blades over trying to sharpen them, which I'm pretty good at..
Also, you don't acquire dozens of tweezers, files and dremel sanding drums - if you don't keep buying them because you don't remember where you stored them. I chuckle at these "event" as I get older and revel in the rediscover of said item(s)when they're "found" again.
Here's to time spent in your hobby spaces, sipping coffee, sharing peanuts with your pets, in my case - Beagles...
Enjoy every day you are given fellas!!

Sorry for your loss, Jim.

It's strange to think that I'm 53, and in the younger minority of those here. I can only hope to have many years ahead to enjoy this new-found hobby.

Been there and done that. My solution to decreased close up vision and less flexible fingers is to give up on fully rigged three masters and build sloops and schooners. Not only do they not require the time commitment to finish, but I have no trouble finding them a new home port with friends and family.

Jim, I have to echo everyone else’s sentiments. I’m rapidly approaching 3/4 of a century… did I just say that? February will be… yikes! Along with age came changes, progressive challenges with my MS. ( I’ve been an advocate/photographer/videographer with the Upper Midwest Chapter on the National MS Society… so talking about it, teaching about it is second nature). I look at changes as new opportunities to meet those challenges. That’s me… every one is different and I’m the last person to tell someone else how to feel. But continuing to
try to move forward has helped me not let MS define who I am. Getting back into modeling, being accepted into this community…priceless.

Back