Glad I found this group

I'm building my first sailing ship model. It's a scratch build of HMS Aldebaran from a set of free online plans. Enjoying the challenge, making mistakes but learning as I go.
First of all, welcome aboard our friendly forum! We would love to see the HMS Aldebaran in a build log of yours. Is it feasible, what do you think?

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our friendly forum.
We would be very happy to see your first work and also to help and assist you in this first challenge.
Often it is very useful to start a building log (you can start from your actual status) and we are able to comment and give hints, but also answer your questions if necessary and reuested.
I can not find something about the Aldebaran on histrorical sources, but found a planset of a Cutter HMS Aldebaran built in 1790!
aldebaran.JPG aldebaran2.JPG

Is this the model you are working on?
Seems to be a good choice for a first scratch build . there are some realy nice models existing based on these drawings

Uwik, yes these are the plans that I'm using. I'll try to doing a build log. I need to take some pictures to document my current progress along with some mistakes that I realize I've already made. Looking forward to feedback and advise from other more experienced modelers.

Uwik, yes these are the plans that I'm using. I'll try to doing a build log. I need to take some pictures to document my current progress along with some mistakes that I realize I've already made. Looking forward to feedback and advise from other more experienced modelers.
The mistakes, recognising them and correcting them will make you a better modeller. I have made some really big ones but I am finding that making corrections and eventually getting it to the standard I can accept is part of the fun. Enjoy.

I'm building my first sailing ship model. It's a scratch build of HMS Aldebaran from a set of free online plans. Enjoying the challenge, making mistakes but learning as I go.
Welcome to the SoS crew who enjoy sharing their builds and techniques to help each other solve problems, find resources, tools, and materials. Enjoy the voyage. Rich (PT-2)

Welcome aboard.
Yes, this is a great place to discuss technics and to share our abilities.
The model you picked to scartch build, it looks very elegant.
Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 1.10.26 PM.jpg

Welcome to the best forum around for ships.

Take time to look around at all the subjects and tutorial stuff, it may be of great help.

Use the search function on any ship or subject to see what others have posted.

A build log is best way to get help and show others what your have done and learned.

I have learned many new ways of working issues from other more experienced builders just by reading build logs.

Kurt

Hallo @DD 708
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back