Glue gun. Heat gun

The Heat gun has saved me many times over the years. I find it the best way to unglue joints. One word of caution: use patience and set the gun to low heat. It will work fine. I used high heat once and almost set the model on fire. I bought a real good one but I’m sure cheaper models will work real good as well.

Very useful and interesting technical tip as I've often wondered if and how you could undo a PVA joint without splintering the wood. With CA glues, the obvious solvent is acetone, so with PVA it is heat. Thanks for the information.
Workboats, Aiken, SC

I use a Monokote iron, but there are smaller and more modern tiny irons are available.

Very useful and interesting technical tip as I've often wondered if and how you could undo a PVA joint without splintering the wood. With CA glues, the obvious solvent is acetone, so with PVA it is heat. Thanks for the information.
Workboats, Aiken, SC
Isopropyl Alcohol will release PVA joints. I use the small spray pack to wet the joint wait a couple of minutes then prise the joint apart with a sharp blade. If you need to use a lot of force, stop and spray again. The Isopropyl Alcohol destroys the PVA bond so the joint should break relatively easily. If their is a sharp section of timber involved then be gentle and use the sharp blade to cut between the pieces of timber else the wetted wood breaks.

I've used alcohol to dissolve hide glue joints on furniture- it works very well- doesn't really dissolve the glue but crystallizes it into weak brittle substance. I'd never heard of it working on PVA before. PVA is reversible with heat, which an be an advantage in assembly as well. With a tricky fit, let PVA glue dry on both sides and work into place with a soldering iron to melt the glue and hold in place for a few seconds. Not quite CA, but it acts fast!

Back