glueing brass

Brass to brass/copper is best soldered.

It depends what you're up to, but epoxy, such as 'Araldite' may be useful, including attaching to wood or plastics.
The joining surfaces should be keyed and clean.
Be aware, such 'glues' give brittle bonds, so if an item gets knocked it will likely part.

I'm using either Starbond or Bob Smith Industries medium CA glue on the tiny bits of brass to wood on the AMATI Fifie I'm putting together. If it's a larger piece of brass then the .5 or .7 mm brass I have, and brass to brass or copper then I would solder the pieces, using resin core solder, not acid core plus using a pencil style soldering iron.

Based on this discussion about possibility of glueing metals I decided to make a try and searched for some glue on german amazon, ordered and just received thes two bottles - When I have some experience with the results I will share with you the information

IMG_2167.jpg

This is the CA that I usually get here in the US. I also get some of the micro applicators.
Normally, I'll get the blue which is the thin and I'll get the purple which is the medium thick. If you prefer the really thick, get the red. The brown spray bottle is the accelerator to make it cure faster and the green is the debonder. I borrowed these pictures from the Model Expo site. :)
Hope that helps.
1674767473693.png1674767499596.png

CA, but go with the thick variety.
I agree but I use CA gel…the really thick stuff. :) Gluing brass to anything depends on the shear strength needed…I use the CA gel to glue brass fittings to hull and hull furniture…such as door hinges to bulkhead doors, or rudder hinge fittings to the hull. No shear strength needed. If you need greater shear strength some of the glues noted above are excellent choices!

Last edited:
I am using a product called 'Bondic'. It is a CA type of adhesive that only cures when exposed to the UV 'blue' light, that comes with the kit. So far quite happy with it. Have used it on brass-to-brass, brass-to-plastic, brass-to-wood, etc...

Try J-B Weld epoxy. Works first time, every time, on metals/metals or metals/wood or metals/plastic or resin, and the bond lasts forever plus a day. :) My dependable go-to for such applications for over 30 years now.
J-B Weld is fantastic but there are two downsides - color is very close to black regardless of their advertising that says grey and the second is the very slow dry time - even their (kinda) fast stuff. I generally leave anything J-B'd overnight regardless of the variety.

My Starbond dries to handle in seconds and cures completely in an hour, usually less and so far has worked 100% on brass to brass and brass to wood

J-B Weld is fantastic but there are two downsides - color is very close to black regardless of their advertising that says grey and the second is the very slow dry time - even their (kinda) fast stuff. I generally leave anything J-B'd overnight regardless of the variety.

My Starbond dries to handle in seconds and cures completely in an hour, usually less and so far has worked 100% on brass to brass and brass to wood
VERY slow drying time - 24 hours. Which Starbond product do you use?

VERY slow drying time - 24 hours. Which Starbond product do you use?
Medium, thick and extra thick on hand but seldom use anything but medium. I have some LocTite gel but that's just a back up but works well tho can be messy. Oh and I have some Bob Smith's as well - thick.

Last edited:
Phil's and Uwek's CAs work well as I've used them on rare occasions when I was not able to solder. If you use any glue, CA, epoxy, etc., be sure to rough up the brass's surface with something like 320-600 grit abrasive. It will provide more surface area and strengthen the bond exponentially.

Back