Glueing to Ebony

Not used Ebony at all before but now I have to glue European Boxwood carvings to Ebony base. Harold Hahn in his book 'Ships of the American revolution' says that Epoxy is to be used. Has anyone experience with this? Is PVA appropriate because of the high oil content of Ebony?
Janos

I second Zoltan. If it is not too much pressure and you just need to glue together, CA can e safely used. However, if you are planning to varnish the surface with oils, make sure glue doesn't penetrate too much, Otherwise, you will end up with a spot.

Hi Janos
I realise I am late to the party and you have done this now,but for future reference;
Yes,wipe with Acetone but use Epoxy or Cyano.Pva doesn't work so well as it relies heavily on penetration which you don't get due to oils remaining inside Ebony even after wiping.Cyano actually bonds Ebony better than it does anything else!

Kind Regards

Nigel

Thanks for the replies. I tried Epoxy but it is very messy so I ended up using Loctite Ciano. It works well and hopefully it will last long too.
Janos

For future reference as an additional option, you could also use hide glue with ebony. Luthier's have used it for years in guitar construction. (i.e. on gluing fretboard's on necks, or bridge on top of acoustic guitars) and with a variety of other exotic woods. Proper preparation of the surfaces to be glued is of paramount importance..

Back