Gold/Honey colored wood ?

I have just received my second kit, it's a ZHL Black Pearl ( all sealed version ) I want to do the sides (above waterline) in a gold toned wood/stain rather than all black walnut that the kit ships with. Any suggestions and location to buy planking strips appreciated. Max at ZHL is excellent to deal with but the only white/stainable wood he supplies appears to be Indonesian timber??. His other woods (pear, cherry, red beech) appear to be red in nature. Thanks in advance

Check out satinwood. Go to the Gilmer Wood Company website and enter satinwood- he has several nice pieces of Ceylon Satinwood which are about as gold toned as you can get. Applying an oil or water based finish would further enhance the tone without having to use a stain. Of course you would have to mill these larger pieces (or get someone to do it for you) but I believe it would be worth it (and you would have plenty left over for your next project!).

Hello
There is a wood that is really yellow in colour its called Pequia Amarello I bought quite a lot as its beautiful I mainly bought as I'm doing the Victory and didn't want to use any paint, so its going to be made with Ebony Oak Walnut & Pequia Amarello. Since I started they have changed the colours of Victory but I'll stick with my original intentions as the Pequia Amarello was really hard to find in the UK and a bit expensive. I have more than I need and depending on how much you want and where you are I could possibly let you have some.
You could try this its the place I got mine from shop.exotichardwoods.co.uk
Regards
Paul

Last edited:
in the yellowish to cream color keep in mind the first three woods do not bend very well the Osage is used for bows so it will bend better then the top 3.
the top 3 woods are dense and heavy making them brittle
\
osage orange

pau marfim

Alaskan cedar

satinwood

boxwood

pearwood

yellow wood.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to all. I am going to try some indo timber from max at zhl. I am also going to get some teak strips for the deck. I am considering going with 1mm thick planks and cut them into 100mm lengths to give an actual joint at the plank ends. not sure if this is a good idea or whether the extra work involved would make a difference. still doing some research. Just started the project so will be awhile before I get to final planking

one thing you may want to consider is to paint or stain the model. you are not going to get that rich color from any wood. Ships were painted so to paint the model is doing what was done on the real ship. another thing to consider is wood will change color in time and that nice yellow color will turn brown.

hms-victory.jpg

here is an example I took a slice off a piece of Osage Orange the fresh cut is a nice bright yellow the lower pieces is the original edge. Wood in time forms a patina. You can see this in Boxwood the admiralty models have this deep rick golden color, that is not the original color that is the patina

osage.jpg

every wood I know of will loose the bright color, I do not know if you seal the surface it will stop the wood from turning color. I don't think it will but I can not say for sure.
Thanks Dave. I am planning on using golden oak stain and a top coat of helmsman satin spar urethane (slightly thinned) will do some testing before hand.

Back