Golden Hind - Constructo 1:55 first real build

Hello
First build pob build here. Iv done a couple solid hull mamoli kits fairly easily but ready to move on

Now that iv opened the box I'm a bit overwhelmed but I'm committed lol
Any help and advice would be much appreciated
I will do my best to keep a detailed log.

20200926_190029.jpg20200926_190129.jpg20200926_192657.jpg20200926_190029.jpg20200926_190129.jpg20200926_192657.jpg

Last edited:
Very good that you have started the building log - good progress so far.
One small hint:
One one of the decks it looks like, that you have a buckle (marked with red line)
-> please check here the drawings - such a buckle can not be on a deck
20200928_180345.jpg

Good luck with your build. I found my first POB build went well by reading up on it as much as I could and not going too fast. I agree with the need to have your bulkheads in straight and at a 90 degree angle. Make sure they are glued in solid as well. I had one that was not glued as well as it should have been and it came loose while fairing the bulkheads.

I will be watching another relative newbie‘s progress.

Ooohhh! :oops: OK. It is wood and everything can be salvaged. Luckily it is your first layer and wood filler and LOTS of sanding can cure a lot.

Questions (for future reference):
Did you narrow the width of your planks at the bow? (It is difficult to tell from the pictures).
What glue did you use (Was it PVA and if so, is it water-based or waterproof?)

Well its supposed to be a single plank but I think theres almost enough in the kit to do a second plank. I didnt start to narrow planks till it was too late

The narrowing of the planks seems to be single biggest problem. Also, in your final layer of planking, I would advise against using nails. This leaves unsightly holes in your planking. Rather use push pins that you press into the bulkheads directly below the plank so that one end goes over the plank to hold it in place. That way, there are no holes.

The picture below indicates the narrowed planks and how the push pin is used.

Build 292.jpg

Oh wow. That looks like a major do over. Hopefully you used water soluble wood glue. I use Titebond glue and found that a cloth soaked in very very hot water laid on the planks will loosen the glue and allow one to remove the planks, Messy and a lot of work. I agree with Heinrich, push pins are the way to hold the planks in place. I learned the hard way that a plank needs to be fit checked several times before it’s glued in place.

Jan

So I did fair the hull but it ended up being way to much as i thought it would be a good idea to use my dremel..

I'm gona stick with it and sand the ever living hell out of it as it is a single plank hull. May not look exactly as its supposed to but it's my first build and it's a learning experience

Back