Golden Hind

I have recently purchased the Occre version of the Golden Hind as it was on sale and didn't want to pay too much.
But I now ponder my decision as it does not have the same "triangular" painting, decoration around the upper deck that I have seen in paintings of her, and remember seeing on a build my late stepfather did

It also now begs the question who are other manufacturers of the Golden Hind kit (wood)? I have seen a comment that Billing did?

Thanks
Rob

Like HMS Victory, the Golden Hind is very popular with builders and model kit companies. Here are some that are available.

Mamoli Golden Hind $149.00 USD
MAMOLI_-_(MV30)_Golden_Hind_samolepka_(414x220_mm)%20kopie.jpg

Dusek Golden Hind $156.00 USD
1895-11386-Golden-Hind-Model-Boat-Kit-Dusek-D017-1.jpg

Woody Joe Golden Hind ¥38,000 (Japan)
l_ws-golden-hind_20211014203145.jpg

OcCre Golden Hind $122.00 USD
golden_hind-002.jpg.webp

The Model Shipyard Golden Hind (assembled, expensive)
Golden-Hind-Wooden-Scale-Model-Ship-Star-Quarter.jpg

ModelShipMaster Goldern Hind (assembled) $3220.00 + $220.00 shipping USD :eek:Sick
golden-hind-model.jpg

Mamoli Mini Golden Hind $66.00 USD
2112-12699-Golden-Hind-Model-Ship-Kit-Mini-Mamoli-MM71.jpg.webp

Airfix Golden Hind $66.00 USD (plastic)
1678861897924.png

Revell Golden Hind $25.00 USD (vintage, plastic)
s-l1600.jpg

GALEON Golden Hind $22.00 (paper)
1678862140136.png

Metal Earth Golden Hind $11.95 USD, super cheap
0000920_golden-hind_1200.png

Jackie Robinson's replica Golden Hind £195,000, for the man who has everything. Who wants just a model, anyway? :D
31932943.jpg

So many versions Kurt....
I wonder which is the closest representation.
I think the Mamoli version is the most aesthetically pleasing.

Cheers,
Stephen.
That's really the question isn't it? When you're building a ship older that 1850, sources are so scarce that show an accurate appearance that the interpretations from 50 to 100 years ago become taken as fact, and you begin to understand that over 50% of your model may be based on guesswork. I prefer the Mamoli version also.

Last edited:
While I have purchased the Occre version and prefer the Mamoli for its colour and more colourful trim, I was glad to see my query showed there are a number of kit suppliers with 2 versions of how the hull was "decorated". As mentioned by Darivs, the general design is the same, and at least they worked out it was one or the other for the decoration. It could have been depending at what time in her life. Appreciate all the information, this is why I love this group!

While I have purchased the Occre version and prefer the Mamoli for its colour and more colourful trim, I was glad to see my query showed there are a number of kit suppliers with 2 versions of how the hull was "decorated". As mentioned by Darivs, the general design is the same, and at least they worked out it was one or the other for the decoration. It could have been depending at what time in her life. Appreciate all the information, this is why I love this group!
I have just put under 'Submit images of completed models here' a number of pictures taken during the construction of this kit.
Good luck with your version

While the OcCre version doesn't show the fancy triangles on hull, you can always paint them yourself, if you have photos for reference.

The Heller Golden Hind and the Revell Golden Hind are identical.
The Mamoli, the Revell- and also the Paper Version are following the Hoeckel design which were published in "Risse von Schiffen des 16. und 17. Jahrhunderts".
He made also a very nice reconstruction of the Revenge.

Back