Grants Xebec 1:60 (using Jabeque Cazador Occre1:60 kit) [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good afternoon
I bunked the office today- sometimes it is nice owning your own company…..and then sometimes notROTF.

Similar to Mizzen for the main mast :
View attachment 437626View attachment 437625View attachment 437627
Installing the additional cleat and tying off the parrel halyard in that tiny space between the mast and bell tower was a mission…. Plenty *^%#! #%^!…..

OH.. I am running out of single sheave ebony 5mm blocks so I used a double sheave block rather than making a violin block for the parrel block and tackle (the brown rope) I’m not buying anything more for this ship.

Cheers Grant
Good Lord, Grant! I almost can't believe this was made by human hands. What do they put in the water in S.A.? BRILLIANT WORK!!!!

Good evening. Today I did the sheets for the mainsail, some rope hanks and coils and printed “Grants “ starboard decorations.

The decoration detail are tiny and as thin as 0.2mm. I have macro pics with what they are supposed to be ROTF . Same as the PS.

Pics tell the story:
View attachment 438786
View attachment 438787View attachment 438789View attachment 438788View attachment 438790View attachment 438791View attachment 438792View attachment 438793
Now I have plenty of touch up to do and still have to fill some of the treenails. I am considering framing the stern overhang around the rose with thin 1mm or less walnut. If I have some to cut….hmmm?
Cheers Grant
Gorgeous! Delightful! Thank you, Grant!

Good Lord, Grant! I almost can't believe this was made by human hands. What do they put in the water in S.A.? BRILLIANT WORK!!!!
Good afternoon Chuck. Ha ha….maybe the vodka… Thanks for checking in on my Xebec. The decorations were not made by human hand but a little box with some resin in itROTF. These are my beginner attempts at 3D printing. Plenty to learn. They look cool on my ship tho.
Gorgeous! Delightful! Thank you, Grant!
Thank you kindly Chuck. It is appreciated.
Just caught up now... superb work all round Grant. Are you for hire? :)
Good afternoon Mark. Thank you Sir. My charge out rates for Ex- pats in Aussie are free- just airfare for twoROTF. Always good to hear from you. Cheers Grant

If that are beginners results, then i wonder what you get out of that printer when you are experienced.

Stunning details Grant
Good evening Peter. Thank you. I would like to advance where certain metal parts,E.g hooks, deadeye strops etc can be printed. Will save plenty trying to find these parts to the scale I want. I still have many fails in my printing, just need to get the slicing and settings right. Cheers Grant

Those printed details look awesome. You're a quick study! I wouldn't even know where to begin...
Good morning Paul. Thanks. I am getting better at this. The lesson for me is not to make some “floating “ parts so thin again. I doubt it would show if the tiny details are a 0.5mm vs a 0.2mm. For my next project I am going to attempt to print metal parts of the ship, especially those I cannot readily buy here in SA. E.g hooks…I don’t make these very well from thin wire. Cheers Grant

Very nice 3D print work.
Good morning Daniel. Thank you. I am improving- less fails each time. I printed to figures with this last print just for fun and busy painting them (I’m not very good at micro painting ROTF ). They won’t be going on the ship. One fellow my height 5-10 and a giant of a chap at 6-5. It good to check the scale of the ship. Cheers Grant
97E5F332-D217-4316-B925-1E2168776455.jpeg

It’s all in the details …… Nice work, Grant.
Regards, Peter
Even the close up shots are prescision perfect, workmanship I can only dream of getting too.
Thank you Richie and Peter. My detail work is still limited however each time I do improve. Maybe one day I will get it right. Thanks Grant

Good morning Daniel. Thank you. I am improving- less fails each time. I printed to figures with this last print just for fun and busy painting them (I’m not very good at micro painting ROTF ). They won’t be going on the ship. One fellow my height 5-10 and a giant of a chap at 6-5. It good to check the scale of the ship. Cheers Grant
View attachment 439490
Lovely, as far as pirates go, printed figurines. Adding figures (at scale) to the model gives a very good perspective of its true size.

Lovely, as far as pirates go, printed figurines. Adding figures (at scale) to the model gives a very good perspective of its true size.
Good afternoon Johan. It was just a fun print. I won’t be adding them to the ship tho. I’m not a fan of figurines on the ship. I was interested to see how to scale the build matches up. Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Johan. It was just a fun print. I won’t be adding them to the ship tho. I’m not a fan of figurines on the ship. I was interested to see how to scale the build matches up. Cheers Grant
Quite honestly, me neither, however, I noticed that selecting too large rope diameters or blocks for ones model or applying too large diameters for masts, gaffs and booms could present a false sense of true dimensions. That's when I realized the added value of figurines. Choosing the correct scale and limit the number of figurines to just a few does enliven the model and enhance the sense of scale.
(I am darn close to redo the entire rigging of my Billing Boats Bluenose, just because the blocks and ropes are not to scale, among other things...)

(I am darn close to redo the entire rigging of my Billing Boats Bluenose, just because the blocks and ropes are not to scale, among other things...)
I know the feeling. My PW (and Newport) got this problem to, but I don't start over, why? The ship wasn't actually my project, I just finish it and that is already hard enough. But my next ship that I'll rig which is totaly my build, I would do it all over.

Good afternoon Chuck. Ha ha….maybe the vodka… Thanks for checking in on my Xebec. The decorations were not made by human hand but a little box with some resin in itROTF. These are my beginner attempts at 3D printing. Plenty to learn. They look cool on my ship tho.

Thank you kindly Chuck. It is appreciated.

Good afternoon Mark. Thank you Sir. My charge out rates for Ex- pats in Aussie are free- just airfare for twoROTF. Always good to hear from you. Cheers Grant
Grant! I loved the 3D printed stuff, but I was really talking about the work on the rigging. I remain happily amazed!

Good evening. Today I did the sheets for the mainsail, some rope hanks and coils and printed “Grants “ starboard decorations.

The decoration detail are tiny and as thin as 0.2mm. I have macro pics with what they are supposed to be ROTF . Same as the PS.

Pics tell the story:
View attachment 438786
View attachment 438787View attachment 438789View attachment 438788View attachment 438790View attachment 438791View attachment 438792View attachment 438793
Now I have plenty of touch up to do and still have to fill some of the treenails. I am considering framing the stern overhang around the rose with thin 1mm or less walnut. If I have some to cut….hmmm?
Cheers Grant
Fantastic work Grant, looks amazing

Back