Greeting from Arizona! And wanting some info on an 18th century Dutch ship called a snow, snaw, or snauw.

Hello everyone, my name is Kevin Lawton & I live near Sedona Arizona (about 90 miles north of Phoenix). I'm an absolute beginner at wooden model ships having built plastic models for more than 40 years. Recently discovered that my earliest ancestors (maternal side) arrived in the US at the port of Philadelphia in August of 1720 from southwest Germany (a region known as the Palatinate). I grew up just outside of Philadelphia & have had a long standing interest in history (culminating with a Master's Degree in History).

Anyway we know from a family diary when they arrived and we know from the port of Philadelphia records that the only ship to arrive from the Palatinate in August of 1720 was a Dutch Snow (also : snaw or snauw) that sailed from Rotterdam. This matches the diary in that the diary mentions traveling by river to Rotterdam before embraking for the colonies.

My ultimate goal is to build (scratch) or modify an existing kit as a snow. To that end I'm wondering if anyone here has any info especially plans, drawings etc of a snow ship. My understanding is that a snow s a square rigged vessel with two masts, with a snow- or trysail-mast stepped immediately (behind) the main mast.

Thanks for any help/info and I'm looking forward to searching the site for all the help I'm going to need!!

Looking forward to this new 'adventure' in modeling. Under no illusions that I have a lot to learn. I have been reading numerous books including Underhill's 'Plank on Frame Models' Vol. I & II, 'Sailing Ship Rigs & Rigging', Longridge's 'The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships', Chapelle's 'The Search for Speed Under Sail', and others more specific to planking, etc. My first kit is going to be the Amati US 'Arrow American Boat' of 1814. I chose it because the hull looks easier to plank than many of the more 'blunt' nosed ship. 1587854206335.png

Attachments

• 1587854205814.png
    1587854205814.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello everyone, my name is Kevin Lawton & I live near Sedona Arizona (about 90 miles north of Phoenix). I'm an absolute beginner at wooden model ships having built plastic models for more than 40 years. Recently discovered that my earliest ancestors (maternal side) arrived in the US at the port of Philadelphia in August of 1720 from southwest Germany (a region known as the Palatinate). I grew up just outside of Philadelphia & have had a long standing interest in history (culminating with a Master's Degree in History).

Anyway we know from a family diary when they arrived and we know from the port of Philadelphia records that the only ship to arrive from the Palatinate in August of 1720 was a Dutch Snow (also : snaw or snauw) that sailed from Rotterdam. This matches the diary in that the diary mentions traveling by river to Rotterdam before embraking for the colonies.

My ultimate goal is to build (scratch) or modify an existing kit as a snow. To that end I'm wondering if anyone here has any info especially plans, drawings etc of a snow ship. My understanding is that a snow s a square rigged vessel with two masts, with a snow- or trysail-mast stepped immediately (behind) the main mast.

Thanks for any help/info and I'm looking forward to searching the site for all the help I'm going to need!!
Hi Kevin,

Greetings from The Netherlands. I lived in Rotterdam for 8 years, but sorry that was nearly 3 centuries later. I also have been in Sedona during a 4 week RV trip along the west coast, a beautiful place to live.

A snow (Dutch sneeuw) comes from the old Dutch word snouw which means beak ( snavel in Dutch)

A snow is a two masted ship which evolved from a three masted ship where the aft mast is removed and a snow sail is directly fitted to the main mast, so a two masted ship.
480px-Snow.png
Below a drawing of a snow at sea.
snauwschip.jpg

Here an original plan of a snaauw from the 18th century from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
spantenraam-Scheepvaartmuseum-1024x742.jpg

On the dutch model forum there is a build log of a snow, see the link below, sorry its in Dutch.

Hop it helps.

Hi Kevin,

Greetings from The Netherlands. I lived in Rotterdam for 8 years, but sorry that was nearly 3 centuries later. I also have been in Sedona during a 4 week RV trip along the west coast, a beautiful place to live.

A snow (Dutch sneeuw) comes from the old Dutch word snouw which means beak ( snavel in Dutch)

A snow is a two masted ship which evolved from a three masted ship where the aft mast is removed and a snow sail is directly fitted to the main mast, so a two masted ship.
View attachment 146663
View attachment 146664

Here an original plan of a snaauw from the 18th century from the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam.
View attachment 146665

On the dutch model forum there is a build log of a snow, see the link below, sorry its in Dutch.

Hop it helps.
Thank you Maarten!

Hallo and a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Welcome, a newbie myself, I’ve never heard the term “Snow” so I had looked it up in a book I have.
good Luck.image.jpg

Last edited:
I will happily start a build log of the Amati Arrow once construction begins- right now I'm a bit busy with work as I'm considered 'essential' (working in retail grocery). Anyway thanks to all for the 'welcome'. Thanks also to Maarten, zoly99sask, Jim J, and Sea Burd for info on the snow.

Hi Kevin,

View attachment 146663
View attachment 146664

View attachment 146665

Hop it helps.
What more could you ask for?

Howard Chapelle in The History of American Sailing Ships discusses the Snow. You would probably be able to modify a Brig. See Attached.

Attachments

• Chapelle on Snows.pdf
    760.6 KB · Views: 8

Hallo Kevin,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Did you already start the works on your American Gunboat? Would be very interesting to see this model in a building log - :cool:

Hallo Kevin alias @sedonakevin
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back