Greetings All!

Greetings and salutations!
Hope you're all well. So I'm new here (obviously), and new to model ship building. Not really even sure if that's what you'd call what I'm doing, but it seems close enough for me, hopefully it'll work for you lot as well.

So here's the scoop: I'm a 3D printing kind of individual, and recently, one of the STL providers I subscribe to put out an STL of a square rigger I can't rightly place, it's like a Sixth-Ranked Sloop of War crossed with a Galley? It's decidedly odd. 12 guns, mostly on one deck (two are on another, but that's probably just stylized, it **is** a fantasy line of STLs, after all), with a decidedly Golden Age of Sail aftcastle.

Anyway, they've designed it to have 3D printed sails, and mostly printed rigging (and honestly mostly *no* rigging, if we're being completely candid about things). This doesn't work for me. At all. I'm not OK with that. It's a beautiful model. Absolutely gorgeous piece of kit.

Right, so. On to why I'm here, and what my goal is. First off, if there's any sort of identification to what kind of ship that actually IS, that'd be amazing. My knowledge of sailing vessels isn't as great as it once was (sadly I took a TBI when I was a bit younger, and I just... I can't brain as good as I once did). SECONDLY, that's scaled for 32mm D&D style minifigs, and I plan on fully rigging it as close to realistic as possible after I finish printing it (which will take quite some time--it's over 2 feet long, weighs a ton, and is just bloody massive--and I won't actually be able to START the print until tomorrow when the filament comes in).

I will of course be making threads in the relevant subforums if/when I'm stumped on where/what to do. But yeah, that's the goal, strip off those fake plastic printed sails and all the icky printed rigging, and actually give it some proper realistic standing and running rigging with blocks and twine.

It's quite the undertaking, but once I have it printed and painted, I think it'll be worth the effort. Plus, I mean, yeah, sure, it may not be super realistic (or maybe it is, I unno), but it's a damn pretty model!

So yeah, that's why I'm here. I was given STLs for a ship, I'm super unhappy with the way **they've** done it, and I want to **identify** and **rig** it. Figured here was the best place to figure both of those things out.

Anything else you lot want to know, feel free to ask. My life's a semi-opened book. Some pertinent facts: I'm neurodivergent (ADHD and Autism among others, bear with me if I'm not getting it or if I'm just... kind of out there), did some time **actually** sailing back when I was younger, grew up in the Sahara, married, have a kid, love music (own more'n 2 dozen stringed instruments, play drums in the style of Keith Moon, write and record my own stuff from time to time), D&D, dark fantasy and sci-fi. Love the ocean, everything about it.

So that's me! Picture of the render of the ship I'll be printing attacked. It's called the "Lady Harpy," iff'n the attached image isn't enough to go by, Google has loads of stuff, and I think there's even a video of the people who made the STL printing it and painting it, if that's more your speed.

19_-_Ship_-_The_Lady_Harpy.png

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Thank you for the welcomes!

I should be starting the printing on the ship this weekend, if the calibration of the printer goes to plan ("if" is such a big word for only having two letters, innit?). My FDM printer just showed up today, I'm very excited about moving into a new medium (and possibly saving some money on larger prints).

I also found out one of my good mates used to get really involved with model ship building--they hated doing clippers, but apparently loved schooners. We had a lovely conversation about it, I've known the person for several years, and we've talked hobbies many, many times, but model ship building never came up (even though our mutual love of sailing and the sea has many times). Fun stuff! They gave me a link to Syren Ship Models, so I should be able to get my rope from there, rather'n the arduous task of making/rigging a rope walk (I really don't have the room for that in my house), despite how fun that might be for me and my kid to do as a science fair thing.

Thank you for the welcomes!

I should be starting the printing on the ship this weekend, if the calibration of the printer goes to plan ("if" is such a big word for only having two letters, innit?). My FDM printer just showed up today, I'm very excited about moving into a new medium (and possibly saving some money on larger prints).

I also found out one of my good mates used to get really involved with model ship building--they hated doing clippers, but apparently loved schooners. We had a lovely conversation about it, I've known the person for several years, and we've talked hobbies many, many times, but model ship building never came up (even though our mutual love of sailing and the sea has many times). Fun stuff! They gave me a link to Syren Ship Models, so I should be able to get my rope from there, rather'n the arduous task of making/rigging a rope walk (I really don't have the room for that in my house), despite how fun that might be for me and my kid to do as a science fair thing.
One tip of another resource of extremely good rope material is our member @BenD -> Very good quality and reasonable prices

Again, thanks for the welcomes. "If" proved to be a very big word indeed. Havenae been able to get anything done as far as setting up my FDM printer, working on it slowly, we've had a rash of bad weather, did some damage to the ol' roof, and I've been plugging leaks the past two weeks. Printer's here though (as I said), sitting in the box, unopened.

If all goes to plan, and the weather clears off (nothing but rain all day today), then maybe I'll get to get the ship at least **started** on the printing process. Sooner I get on that, the sooner I can start to rigging!

Greetings and salutations!
Hope you're all well. So I'm new here (obviously), and new to model ship building. Not really even sure if that's what you'd call what I'm doing, but it seems close enough for me, hopefully it'll work for you lot as well.

So here's the scoop: I'm a 3D printing kind of individual, and recently, one of the STL providers I subscribe to put out an STL of a square rigger I can't rightly place, it's like a Sixth-Ranked Sloop of War crossed with a Galley? It's decidedly odd. 12 guns, mostly on one deck (two are on another, but that's probably just stylized, it **is** a fantasy line of STLs, after all), with a decidedly Golden Age of Sail aftcastle.

Anyway, they've designed it to have 3D printed sails, and mostly printed rigging (and honestly mostly *no* rigging, if we're being completely candid about things). This doesn't work for me. At all. I'm not OK with that. It's a beautiful model. Absolutely gorgeous piece of kit.

Right, so. On to why I'm here, and what my goal is. First off, if there's any sort of identification to what kind of ship that actually IS, that'd be amazing. My knowledge of sailing vessels isn't as great as it once was (sadly I took a TBI when I was a bit younger, and I just... I can't brain as good as I once did). SECONDLY, that's scaled for 32mm D&D style minifigs, and I plan on fully rigging it as close to realistic as possible after I finish printing it (which will take quite some time--it's over 2 feet long, weighs a ton, and is just bloody massive--and I won't actually be able to START the print until tomorrow when the filament comes in).

I will of course be making threads in the relevant subforums if/when I'm stumped on where/what to do. But yeah, that's the goal, strip off those fake plastic printed sails and all the icky printed rigging, and actually give it some proper realistic standing and running rigging with blocks and twine.

It's quite the undertaking, but once I have it printed and painted, I think it'll be worth the effort. Plus, I mean, yeah, sure, it may not be super realistic (or maybe it is, I unno), but it's a damn pretty model!

So yeah, that's why I'm here. I was given STLs for a ship, I'm super unhappy with the way **they've** done it, and I want to **identify** and **rig** it. Figured here was the best place to figure both of those things out.

Anything else you lot want to know, feel free to ask. My life's a semi-opened book. Some pertinent facts: I'm neurodivergent (ADHD and Autism among others, bear with me if I'm not getting it or if I'm just... kind of out there), did some time **actually** sailing back when I was younger, grew up in the Sahara, married, have a kid, love music (own more'n 2 dozen stringed instruments, play drums in the style of Keith Moon, write and record my own stuff from time to time), D&D, dark fantasy and sci-fi. Love the ocean, everything about it.

So that's me! Picture of the render of the ship I'll be printing attacked. It's called the "Lady Harpy," iff'n the attached image isn't enough to go by, Google has loads of stuff, and I think there's even a video of the people who made the STL printing it and painting it, if that's more your speed.
Hallo @Diego2112
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back