Ropes of Scale Ropes of Scale developments and updates

Hello everyone,

Ropes of Scale.com has been open now for a few months now. I've added cable laid rope since opening and am now working on making left-hand variants for the standing rigging colors. I'm planning on adding a new product line made with Gutermann E-series thread. That however may take some time as Gutermann has to make some of the threads first.

I've tried to keep the pricing competitive and have cheap shipping options. The synthetic ropes will be cheaper since polyester is a quarter the price, Cotton thread is quite expensive...

Tan Rope.jpg
1mm Dark Brown.jpg

Hello everyone,

Ropes of Scale.com has been open now for a few months now. I've added cable laid rope since opening and am now working on making left-hand variants for the standing rigging colors. I'm planning on adding a new product line made with Gutermann E-series thread. That however may take some time as Gutermann has to make some of the threads first.

I've tried to keep the pricing competitive and have cheap shipping options. The synthetic ropes will be cheaper since polyester is a quarter the price, Cotton thread is quite expensive...

View attachment 275086
View attachment 275087
Lengths?

@Mousemuffins The last order I sent to Australia was only $25 in shipping. The shipping cost is calculated live through an app, did you try all the other options? I also added a non tracked option that is very cheap, I'm going to double-check to see if I enabled it for international shipping.

@Philski There is a PDF file in the rope description area that has all the info for length, diameter, and circumference. I'll post it here also.

Attachments

• Conversion chart - 1.1.pdf
    80.3 KB · Views: 140
Hmm. Seemed to only give me one option.

I'll have another go...

Ah.

Better! $12.55. is there a $25 option with tracking?

@Mousemuffins The last order I sent to Australia was only $25 in shipping. The shipping cost is calculated live through an app, did you try all the other options? I also added a non tracked option that is very cheap, I'm going to double-check to see if I enabled it for international shipping.

@Philski There is a PDF file in the rope description area that has all the info for length, diameter, and circumference. I'll post it here also.
You have rope and “cable”? As product options,whats the difference?

Thank you!

I just ordered 2 pieces of rope to try it out on my current build. Shipping was reasonable at a bit over $6 US.

Nice website, easy to navigate and order from.

Wow, I just received notification it's already shipped!

I'll keep this updated.

Glenn

Cable laid rope is made by combining 3-4 ropes together. It's used for large stays, anchor cable, and sometimes breach rope.

Cables and Cablets are made of three strands of 3 strand hawser usually, very very seldom 4 strands. Cables are called cables when over 9 inches in circumference, when smaller it's called a cablet.

Steel 1794:
p.54: "CABLES, ropes made of nine strands, that are nine inches and upwards in circumference."
p.163: "CABLET. Any cable-laid rope under nine inches in circumference."

I also saw on your website that you are announcing left handed hawser rope. This is a myth, there is no evidence that left-hand "Hawser Laid" ropes were common or used in shipping before about 1830 in any way. Not for running and not for standing rigging.

Left-hand running rigging on (even contemporary) models is simply wrong! Unfortunately there are a lot of these models :-(

Consequently, there is also no convincing evidence that left-hand breeching rope existed BEFORE about 1830 as hawser-laid rope. In some configurations left-hand breeching rope were used for carronades as it has more slack and less tension. But not for canons.

It should be kept in mind that from about 1849 onwards, Americans equate "Hawser laid" and "Cable"! What still led to a lot of irritations!

This is not my opinion but the result of researching contemporary and actual facts!

If anybody is interested also in the sources and more background, see here: https://forum.dubz-modelling-world.com/thread-35.html

cheers

Dirk

I also saw on your website that you are announcing left handed hawser rope. This is a myth, there is no evidence that left-hand "Hawser Laid" ropes were common or used in shipping before about 1830 in any way. Not for running and not for standing rigging.
I am making it available because people keep asking for it. I make what the people want, remember not everyone is making ships in the same era or has done the extensive research you have.

When it comes to my smallest sizes of rope I can't lay it in the right-hand direction. This is because the strands are a single thread that is two-ply. It can be done but the results are awful. If I could get cotton in a single filament or left-hand thread that would not be a problem.

I love that these are available. I've seen many builds using properly laid rope and they always look amazing. But absolutely not something I want to do myself.

Very nice ropes! I like the colours too - what colours are they (if it is not a trade secret)?
The delivery fees are exorbitant, someone makes a big money out of it! I always wonder why those small items (these ropes, replacement rubber belts etc) can't just be put into an envelope and sent it as a normal letter? It would make these items really affordable!
János

I am making it available because people keep asking for it. I make what the people want, remember not everyone is making ships in the same era or has done the extensive research you have.

Please don't get me wrong, your rope looks damn great, it's just frightening how many even very good modelers are subject to this myth that there were left handed hawser rope. I would like to contribute with my post to clarify this myth :) It might sound harsh to some but it is simply wrong to use left handed hawser rope, especially as running rigging :)

cheers Dirk

Back