Ropes of Scale Ropes of Scale developments and updates

I have been following this thread with interest and have considerd using Gütermann thread myself for my ship. However, I can't find a way of converting the garn size (given in numbers, e.g. 20 or 40) to diameters in mm. Can any one out there help me on this issue.
As ever much appreciated.
Trevor.

I have been following this thread with interest and have considerd using Gütermann thread myself for my ship. However, I can't find a way of converting the garn size (given in numbers, e.g. 20 or 40) to diameters in mm. Can any one out there help me on this issue.
Trevor.
Don't worry too much about measuring the yarn. It's the rope you make with it that needs to be measured. The best thing to do is to buy many sizes and experiment. I love getting new threads and experimenting, It's a lot of fun.

Hello everyone,

Ropes of Scale.com has been open now for a few months now. I've added cable laid rope since opening and am now working on making left-hand variants for the standing rigging colors. I'm planning on adding a new product line made with Gutermann E-series thread. That however may take some time as Gutermann has to make some of the threads first.

I've tried to keep the pricing competitive and have cheap shipping options. The synthetic ropes will be cheaper since polyester is a quarter the price, Cotton thread is quite expensive...

View attachment 275086
View attachment 275087
Can't wait to order from you!

Trevor.

I prefer Gutermann Skala. My recipes can be found here:

cheers!

I was almost about to start an entire production line with Skala. I am going to use Gutterman E-series threads however, they are less shiny and are very strong. I'm just waiting for them to arrive to start production.

@Dubz That recipe/formula chart is very close to the sizes of my experiments!

I just ordered 2 pieces of rope to try it out on my current build. Shipping was reasonable at a bit over $6 US.

Nice website, easy to navigate and order from.

Wow, I just received notification it's already shipped!

I'll keep this updated.

Glenn
I received these yesterday. Nicely packaged in a small bubble wrap envelope. Will take and post photos when I have the chance to. Ordered .25 and .35 size. Wanted it for serving.

Glenn

Hello everyone,

Ropes of Scale.com has been open now for a few months now. I've added cable laid rope since opening and am now working on making left-hand variants for the standing rigging colors. I'm planning on adding a new product line made with Gutermann E-series thread. That however may take some time as Gutermann has to make some of the threads first.

I've tried to keep the pricing competitive and have cheap shipping options. The synthetic ropes will be cheaper since polyester is a quarter the price, Cotton thread is quite expensive...
Hallo @BenD alias Ropes of Scale,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello Everyone,

January has been extremely busy! I assume everyone is buying rope for the new models they got for Christmas. I've been trying to keep up but I have so many sizes and colors it's hard to keep them all in stock. I have most of my inventory set so that when items are out of stock people can pre-order. Just know that when pre-ordering it may take a day or two to fulfill the order, if there is a longer delay I'll get in contact.

No development news this month, When it calms down I'll get around to making more sizes of cable and left-hand standing rigging. The rest of my synthetic threads should be coming in at the end of the month so I hope to get the synthetic line under development too.

Happy Rigging!

I've been working out the formulas for the Gutermann E thread and I have some pictures to show. I purchased the color card and bought every color that I thought would look like rope. I like this thread quite a lot. It's easy to work with, has zero fuzz, low shine, and is very strong. It's also a quarter the cost of cotton thread and I don't have to treat it with book-binders PVA. This should make my synthetic line of rope more affordable.

On the left we have pale beige. In the middle we have tan which is very close to my cotton tan color. On the right we have a golden brown, I think it's close to manila hemp. The tan I'll get into production for sure. The other two however need some testing onboard some models before I go any further.

Sample running.JPG

For the standing rigging colors, we have the usual suspects. Black on the left. Very dark brown in the middle. Dark brown on the right, It's actually a little darker than what is in the photo as I turned the brightness up a bit. I like them all to be honest and will probably have them all available in my store.

Sample standing.JPG

Here is a 2.4mm cable I made with the tan color. Very crisp detail with no fuzz!

Sample Cable.JPG

I'm going to put the dark brown and tan into production and I hope to have it online by early next month. I'm also going to look into other types of thread for the lighter colors. Amann Serafil I hope has some good options but the color card still need's to arrive.

Thanks for looking in!

Back