Ropes of Scale Ropes of Scale developments and updates

I have finally finished adding all of the left-hand variants for my Cotton black and dark brown rope. With that out of the way, it's full speed ahead with synthetic rope production!

I've also added cheaper shipping options.

IMG_0275.JPGIMG_0255.JPG

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Ropes of Scale.com has been open now for a few months now. I've added cable laid rope since opening and am now working on making left-hand variants for the standing rigging colors. I'm planning on adding a new product line made with Gutermann E-series thread. That however may take some time as Gutermann has to make some of the threads first.

I've tried to keep the pricing competitive and have cheap shipping options. The synthetic ropes will be cheaper since polyester is a quarter the price, Cotton thread is quite expensive...

View attachment 275086
View attachment 275087
These look absolutely fantastic. I am a new SoS member.
I make some tiny hooks out of brass, but my hooks may be too small for these ropes.
I make 3 sizes ( I have made these for 20+ years):
Small: 0.125" tall; 0.070" wide; 0.023" hole dia. ;
Medium: 0.150" tall; 0.087" wide; 0.022" hole dia.; &
Large: 0.165" tall; 0.095" wide; 0.025" hole dia.
I sell on Ebay and my site (propblur.com). SoS members can
contact me directly for a 10% discount for a direct sale (paypal)
delivery by US Mail.

Hooks pic shows all 3 hooks with coins.JPG

Rigging Hooks Kit  07.jpg

Tiny Rigging Hook 1.jpg

Interesting as I am looking at your Rope post, you were viewing my Belle Poole - LOL
Now, I must say that I am so glad that we have you on board making these ropes for sale. Thank you for offering your service along with the best ropes I have seen.

These look absolutely fantastic. I am a new SoS member.
I make some tiny hooks out of brass, but my hooks may be too small for these ropes.
I make 3 sizes ( I have made these for 20+ years):
Small: 0.125" tall; 0.070" wide; 0.023" hole dia. ;
Medium: 0.150" tall; 0.087" wide; 0.022" hole dia.; &
Large: 0.165" tall; 0.095" wide; 0.025" hole dia.
I sell on Ebay and my site (propblur.com). SoS members can
contact me directly for a 10% discount for a direct sale (paypal)
delivery by US Mail.

For the members with SI-unit understanding I tried to translate the inches, the mm are approximate figures

Small: 3,2mm tall; 1,8mm wide; 0,58mm hole dia. ;
Medium: 3,8mm tall; 2,2mm wide; 0,56mm hole dia.;
Large: 4,2mm tall; 2,4mm wide; 0,64mm hole dia.

Hi guys,

I've ordered some rope @BenD of Ropesofscale.com for the build of my Xebec and I am truly astonished about the quality and beauty of the ropes and the service of Ben. Let me explain a bit further. So, initially I ordered some cotton ropes but Ben asked me if I liked to upgrade to poly rope free of charge. Since poly ropes has no fussiness and are a bit tighter laid, I went for the upgrade and boy am I glad I did! :)

After sending the package to me, Ben contacted me and said he wasn't to sure about the color of the dark brow. In his eyes, it was almost black and because I ordered brown, he made a completely new batch of another dark brown a bit lighter of color and send it to me free of charge. This is a service you don't get everywhere and I truly appreciate! Ben was right, the lighter dark brown is perfect!

@BenD, the ropes and threats are stunning, absolutely beautiful. I'll thank you for your service which is just more than I could hope for.
People, if you want to order good quality ropes, you should really visit Ben's webshop and be amazed by the quality and service.

I'm a happy modeler. :cool:

Cazador_287.jpgCazador_288.jpgCazador_289.jpg

On the picture below is on the left the poly cable of Ben. On the right a cotton cable of the same thickness.
Cazador_290.jpgCazador_291.jpg

Again thanks Ben!

regards,
Peter

As I said before my Polyester rope is now available. It currently ranges from .25mm to 1.3mm in diameter and I plan on going to 2mm or larger. Cables will be added next month when I get my next shipment of thread, They should range from 1mm to 3mm. For now though if you want synthetic cable order the cotton variant and send me an email and ask for an upgrade.

This rope is made with Gutermann E thread which has zero fuzz, lumps, or inconsistencies. It also has a lower shine than some polyester threads tend to have. This rope has been heat treated and won't unravel when cut. CA glue or a lighter may still be needed to fix the rope ends so it may pass through blocks, hooks, and other tight spots.

This rope has three strands and is right-handed.

1mm Dark Brown Header.JPG1.2mm Tan.JPG

Thanks for looking in!

Free shipping this weekend on all orders. If anyone wants to get some samples of my polyester rope now is the best time.

I've also added more sizes 1.4mm - 1.8mm. I'm going to start on cable laid rope this week since my thread arrived early.

1.8mm Tan.JPG1.8mm Dark Brown.JPG

Polyester anchor cable is now available.

I made them ranging from 1.1mm (0.043") to 3.8mm (0.149") in Diameter. The 3.8 cable is big enough for a 74 gun ship of the line in 1:48 scale.

I've also added a letter mail option at checkout for small orders. Now people that only need a few ropes don't need to pay ridiculous shipping costs.

2.8mm Tan Cable.JPG3.8mm Tan Cable.JPG

Last edited:
I've added Black polyester rope to my website sizes ranging from .25mm - 1.8mm. The Black rope does have a fair amount of sheen to it, more than the Dark Brown. I might look into making another product line with Gutermann Mara thread. Mara is more matt but does have a little bit of fuzz.

I'll start making the cables for both black and dark brown this week or next.

0.7mm Black.JPG1mm Black.JPG

Love these ropes. I think it's all about demand and supply, however I would choose the "absolute dark" over black. It's almost like tarred hemp rope and gives a authentic look to it. Perhaps if you're building Nelsons navy ships, then black would be the best fit. :)

Back