Ropes of Scale Ropes of Scale developments and updates

I would love to work a few shifts at a real ropery. I bet I would even learn a thing or two!

Did you take any pictures of the place?
I wish I had; they've been out of business for some time now. It was an experience working there and seeing the many different kinds. They produced rope from cordage up to 8-braid Nylon. Polypropylene rope started out from small pellets to the finished stage. With the bigger rope, they even had a friend of mine splice it even with the metal eye (?). The machines were so old when they moved to North Carolina they donated some to the Smithsonian Institute. I quit because they caused me of doing drugs. Even though I had done a drug test and of course tested negative. If someone was interested, I could draw a sketch of the machines (not a perfect drawing) If allowed here.

I wish I had; they've been out of business for some time now. It was an experience working there and seeing the many different kinds. They produced rope from cordage up to 8-braid Nylon. Polypropylene rope started out from small pellets to the finished stage. With the bigger rope, they even had a friend of mine splice it even with the metal eye (?). The machines were so old when they moved to North Carolina they donated some to the Smithsonian Institute. I quit because they caused me of doing drugs. Even though I had done a drug test and of course tested negative. If someone was interested, I could draw a sketch of the machines (not a perfect drawing) If allowed here.
Everything is allowed here. I'm proof. :D

Hello everyone,

Ropes of Scale.com has been open now for a few months now. I've added cable laid rope since opening and am now working on making left-hand variants for the standing rigging colors. I'm planning on adding a new product line made with Gutermann E-series thread. That however may take some time as Gutermann has to make some of the threads first.

I've tried to keep the pricing competitive and have cheap shipping options. The synthetic ropes will be cheaper since polyester is a quarter the price, Cotton thread is quite expensive...

View attachment 275086
View attachment 275087
Hallo @BenD
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks guys!

I'm going to be making rope for most of the day. I will be going out with the missus for dinner later.

Hello all,

Gutermann E thread will now be available on my website: https://ropesofscale.com/collections/thread

People have been asking me where to get this thread for a while. It's hard to find on the internet, so I'm going to supply it.

The size most people will want is the E121 (tex 12). I will also sell other sizes, E151 and E382, for those who want them. This thread is the best for making scale rope. It's similar to using Serifil or Skala thread but with much less shine.

If anyone has questions, please reach out.

E121 Header.JPG

E151 Header.JPG

E382 Header.JPG

Hello all,

Gutermann E thread will now be available on my website: https://ropesofscale.com/collections/thread

People have been asking me where to get this thread for a while. It's hard to find on the internet, so I'm going to supply it.

The size most people will want is the E121 (tex 12). I will also sell other sizes, E151 and E382, for those who want them. This thread is the best for making scale rope. It's similar to using Serifil or Skala thread but with much less shine.

View attachment 360879

View attachment 360881

View attachment 360882
E121 Price per unit?

Hello all,

View attachment 360879

View attachment 360881

View attachment 360882
This is great, Ben. Many of us enjoy making our own ropes and this should help out immensely and let us support your site at the same time!

E121 Price per unit?
Never mind. I ordered 2 x :D

Thank you for the order! I'm sorry the shipping is so bloody high, New Zealand is quite far.

The price of the spools at the moment is quite high, I'll need to negotiate with A&E for better prices. That will probably require me buying $2000 or more of thread. I'll reduce the prices when I get a better deal, I'm not here to rob people.

The shipping costs for this thread are going to be high as it needs to be sent in a box. Canadian and US customers should see prices around $15-$20 CAD. Everywhere else it will be over $30 most likely. If you are in Europe chances are you will find this thread at your local sewing shop and it will be nearly half the price.

Thank you for the order! I'm sorry the shipping is so bloody high, New Zealand is quite far.

The price of the spools at the moment is quite high, I'll need to negotiate with A&E for better prices. That will probably require me buying $2000 or more of thread. I'll reduce the prices when I get a better deal, I'm not here to rob people.

The shipping costs for this thread are going to be high as it needs to be sent in a box. Canadian and US customers should see prices around $15-$20 CAD. Everywhere else it will be over $30 most likely. If you are in Europe chances are you will find this thread at your local sewing shop and it will be nearly half the price.
postage is cheaper ex Canada than it is ex USA. Thank you very much.

Hello all,

View attachment 360879

View attachment 360881

View attachment 360882
WOOT! Order done!

@shipphotographer.com Ohla is the one who recommended it but she has to get it from Ukraine.

Last edited:
Look's like a lot of rope makers wanted this thread! Thank you for your orders.

I've added two more E121 186 Tan spools to the store's inventory. I'm nearly out of stock on a few others. Im going to order some more today from A&E, it should take 2-3 weeks to get delivered.

Look's like a lot of rope makers wanted this thread! Thank you for your orders.

I've added two more E121 186 Tan spools to the store's inventory. I'm nearly out of stock on a few others. Im going to order some more today from A&E, it should take 2-3 weeks to get delivered.
I'm really happy it's selling so well, hopefully it's really helping profits.

Back