Greetings from Alabama

I'm Ken Nurmi, a retired Navy Submarine Chief Warrant Officer and a retired Aviation/Cargo Inspector from the Department of Homeland Security. Like Guzzijohn, I did a lot of model work when I was young and growing up in far northern Minnesota. I worked mostly in model railroading-primarily scratchbuilding. Right out of high school I joined the Navy and had to put my things away. After I retired from Homeland Security, we moved to Alabama (we ran away from the snow and cold) after living in a travel trailer for 15 years (no room for model work). In Alabama it took me 4 years to build our retirement home. Now at 71 and since we are settled and not going anywhere, I have the time, the space and luckily the money to get back into model building. I gave up model railroading and went into scratchbuilding ships and boats. Did the cross section kit of the USS Constitution to get my fingers back into the task. Then I went into scratch-building. Finished 2 New Bedford whaleboats at 1:20 scale and gave them away as presents. Then I scratch built 2 more at 1:12 scale. The first went to my son for his basement bar which is a nautical theme. The second I've kept and put it into a shop setting. Picture attached. My next project will be a cross section of the USS Pennsylvania (1837) that will concentrate primarily on the gun decks with no masts. Doing research now. Looking forward to ideas, help and general BS from you.
Ken
Whaleboat shop.jpg

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum
I am looking forward to your work on the USS Pennsylvania - so maybe you show us your work in a building log?
Would be very interesting to see this section

Back