Greetings from Newcastle, Australia. First time modeller

My Grandfather used to scratch-build tall ships and it always blew my mind. Now in my mid-forties, I have the desire to follow in his footsteps, though I no doubt lack a lot of skill and experience.
I've just received my first model kit - Amati Endeavour 1:80 (though it seems some pieces are missing - mast and boom - and the instructions are in German, so I'm not off to the best start). I can't wait to get started and I look forward to learning bucketloads from everyone here.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

Hi! No warries about missing parts: masts and any wooden detail can be easily replaced by scratch-building. Gradually, over time, you'll become aware of how bashin' a kit is the most attractive and challenging part of the job.
Instructions aren't strictly mandatory: just study the plans and binge-watch a bunch of You tube tutorials.
Cheers!

My Grandfather used to scratch-build tall ships and it always blew my mind. Now in my mid-forties, I have the desire to follow in his footsteps, though I no doubt lack a lot of skill and experience.
I've just received my first model kit - Amati Endeavour 1:80 (though it seems some pieces are missing - mast and boom - and the instructions are in German, so I'm not off to the best start). I can't wait to get started and I look forward to learning bucketloads from everyone here.
Welcome !!!
If you go to the Amati web site, they have some tutorials on your kit which I believe would be a huge help to you.
Here is a link to the tutorials: Endeavour tutorials It doesn't say what scale kit is used in the tutorials. If it is a different scale, the build should be very similar.
Also on their website, they offer an item where you can buy the plans (I'm not saying to buy them) if you drill down into that item, it shows the majority of the pages of the instructions to get you started. I hope that helps some !

Jeff

Welcome to the group. Although not a big problem to replace the missing parts it is a terrible way for a beginner in the hobby to start out with their first kit. It is things like that and poor quality in a kit which discourages builders from continuing on in the hobby.

A BIG WELCOME to our forum.
Don’t worry about lacking skills or experience, we all start it somewhere like you.
In this forum you will find lots of help.
Pick something very easy to assemble and work you way up.
Please don’t start with a big kit because when you bump into something that you don’t know how to, it will frustrate you.
Start easy….you will build something big soon.

Hi! No warries about missing parts: masts and any wooden detail can be easily replaced by scratch-building. Gradually, over time, you'll become aware of how bashin' a kit is the most attractive and challenging part of the job.
Cheers for that. I guess if I was going to scratch-build anything maybe the mast and boom are some of the easiest parts to do so.
I guess I just wanna grab a piece of dowel and go with that? (Did I mention I'm a total rookie? heh)

It's certainly more appealing than returning the kit. Amati don't send to Australia so I had to order it through amazon, who I suppose ordered it from Amati. Took over two months to arrive.

I'm also concerned that Amati may not wish to send me missing pieces if they don't send kits to Australia. But, yeah, if it's just a couple of pieces of dowel then maybe sending a package halfway around the world is overkill :)

If you go to the Amati web site, they have some tutorials on your kit which I believe would be a huge help to you.
Here is a link to the tutorials: Endeavour tutorials It doesn't say what scale kit is used in the tutorials. If it is a different scale, the build should be very similar.
Also on their website, they offer an item where you can buy the plans (I'm not saying to buy them) if you drill down into that item, it shows the majority of the pages of the instructions to get you started. I hope that helps some !

Jeff
Thanks Jeff that's an amazing help. Amati have come through with the English instructions so that's sorted now. The tutorials are going to be invaluable.
In hindsight, maybe I should've gone with the Bluenose for my first build. Seems like there's a lot more help for newbies with that kit. Still, I'm told the Endeavour yacht is still okay for beginners.
I expect to spend quite a bit of time in the beginners corner of this forum!

A BIG WELCOME to our forum.
Don’t worry about lacking skills or experience, we all start it somewhere like you.
Thank you!

Pick something very easy to assemble and work you way up.
Please don’t start with a big kit because when you bump into something that you don’t know how to, it will frustrate you.
Start easy….you will build something big soon.
I understand the Amati Endeavour is a relatively simple kit. It still may be a little ambitious for my very first model (of anything, ever!), but I'll try my best to not get too discouraged when I inevitably make mistakes.

Welcome! So may great Aussies here. Makes me want to eat vegemite... if only I knew what a vegemite is. :rolleyes:
I understand a lot of foreigners try vegemite the wrong way when they try it. If you ever get the chance, DO NOT just go ahead and eat a spoonful of it.
Toast, butter/margarine, and a thin spreading of vegemite is perfection. I could tell you what vegemite is, but it doesn't add to its appeal at all :oops:

Cheers for that. I guess if I was going to scratch-build anything maybe the mast and boom are some of the easiest parts to do so.
I guess I just wanna grab a piece of dowel and go with that? (Did I mention I'm a total rookie? heh)

It's certainly more appealing than returning the kit. Amati don't send to Australia so I had to order it through amazon, who I suppose ordered it from Amati. Took over two months to arrive.

I'm also concerned that Amati may not wish to send me missing pieces if they don't send kits to Australia. But, yeah, if it's just a couple of pieces of dowel then maybe sending a package halfway around the world is overkill :)
The good thing about dowels is that you can get them at lots of places. :) However, you will probably want to taper them before you use them on the ship. :)

Back