group order transport saving?.

HI is it possible for members on the list to arrange a group delivery to somewhere.
Ie if there are a few of us in one state in Aus, get then all delivered together under one shipment. an split the delivery costs.
Need to be aware customs & import costs though.

Hello Paul, While it might not be a bad idea, in general, you may talk to Tridents first, if this feasible from his end.

EMS has strict requirements on the size of packages to be mailed, not two sets of packages to be mailed together, and multiple sets of packages to be mailed together can only be sent by sea. At present, it takes 2-3 months, and it can't guarantee delivery to home

Is there a different overall cost for AU delivery? Due to exchange rates between US & AU dollars it can get very expensive. you can PM me directly.

Is there a different overall cost for AU delivery? Due to exchange rates between US & AU dollars it can get very expensive. you can PM me directly.
Your right Paul, but there's not much we can do about it unfortunately.
Being retired I certainly have to be more careful with $$$ and try to select what appears to be the best quality/value for money kits, but I still need to take a deep breath when I work out conversion rates, transport, taxes etc.
I remember one brief period long,long ago when the AUD was actually worth more than the USD. Ahh well!

HI Brain

GST would apply now to anything, including transport cost as EMS, DHL etc provide customs with a total cost including shipping costs and GST is added to the total. Just looking at the best price way to get a total AU rather than a US to AU conversion plus GST.

The more than $1000 AU is now is an import duty levy point as well. GST now on any cost. Doing the Duty calculation paperwork for exemption is a nightmare as you have to read the act and inperpret the regulation import tables and enter the correct code if you get it wrong you get an addtional processing fee. ( I know I have just done it for work)

Your right Hedly, bring on two years ago!

With the Covid employment & wage reduction, it is hard.

I have bought several items worth over $500 in the past year and delivered through international post and other couriers and have not been charged any GST. That includes some cookware valued at $960. I bought directly from seller and not through his Amazon site and avoided the tax. GST cannot be avoided for items bought on Ebay or Amazon because it is collected by them. From what I believe companies with sales to Australia worth over $75,000 PA are obliged to charge GST upfront. Not an issue with small sellers.

I imagine the Alert kit will come in well under the $1000 limit so not a problem if bought directly from Trident. A group buy will be charged GST, broker fees, duties and other charges as Paulv says and will grossly inflate the price as well as causing inconvenience, complex paperwork and delays. The logistics of distributing the kits will also be a challenge once entering the country. Better to purchase individually from Trident and avoid the pitfalls and extra charges.

Last edited:
I think freight from China is very slow at the moment. I ordered a few small items from China about 5 weeks ago for my workshop, and they are still in transit.

I think freight from China is very slow at the moment. I ordered a few small items from China about 5 weeks ago for my workshop, and they are still in transit.
True it is slow but depends on the shipper. The CAF temple I ordered from CAFMODEL in mid April arrived 3 weeks later sent via TNT. Cost was US$35 which is reasonable for these times. Ebay label shipping, DHL etc is relatively fast also. Forget about China Post.

Last edited:
This query may be answered elsewhere...(Mods please move this as deemed appropriate.) I note in the group build forum that several fellow Aussies are enquiring re the postage costs to Oz. I cannot get into that subforum so am enquiring here.Has anyone in Oz able to give a reasonably accurate figure on this kit,landed in Australia..That is the purchase price plus postage.I have also made a similar enquiry at Trident...Thanks in advance, Danielw

This query may be answered elsewhere...(Mods please move this as deemed appropriate.) I note in the group build forum that several fellow Aussies are enquiring re the postage costs to Oz. I cannot get into that subforum so am enquiring here.Has anyone in Oz able to give a reasonably accurate figure on this kit,landed in Australia..That is the purchase price plus postage.I have also made a similar enquiry at Trident...Thanks in advance, Danielw
I invited you to the group and I move this post there , please accept the invitation in PM

Daniel, it looks like it will be a heavy parcel, and with the falling Australian dollar I would speculate the postage between $ 100- $ 150 AU.

Hi guys
In Australia, there will be no G S T payable, on the model H M S Alert due to the fact that the purchase price it is under $1000.00 .
Refer the ATO web site
non Taxable importations
item 26
Goods other than tobacco ,alcohol and bulk orders with a value less than an amount prescribed by ,by law , (currently at or below $1000.00)

Back