• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

H.M.S Enterprise / Enterprize. 1:96 (Modelship Dockyard)

Pearwood you will enjoy. This is a first with me on "Boxwood" Castello I think..
Say @neilm , cleaning char, did you do this with a small file and/or sandpaper? Seems this char is a never ending problem.

@Jack Sparrow your constitution is looking wonderful.

-Guy
You didn't ask me, but I use sandpaper on a block. You don't want to sand it too much or you will change the dimensions and you also don't want to change the shape of the piece by rounding the edges (unless needed for the kit build).
P.S. I'm building the 1/48 Enterprise. :)
 
You didn't ask me, but I use sandpaper on a block. You don't want to sand it too much or you will change the dimensions and you also don't want to change the shape of the piece by rounding the edges (unless needed for the kit build).
P.S. I'm building the 1/48 Enterprise. :)
i have always wondered. Does the char make it more difficult to glue the pieces together?
 
Pearwood you will enjoy. This is a first with me on "Boxwood" Castello I think..
Say @neilm , cleaning char, did you do this with a small file and/or sandpaper? Seems this char is a never ending problem.

@Jack Sparrow your constitution is looking wonderful.

-Guy
Hi Guy.
Small files, sanding sticks and a dremel. Just don’t overdo it. Just enough to clean it and see wood. You will get the feel of it as you progress. It’s amazing how much leeway the kit allows if you’re careful.
Good luck.
 
I found this on laser char removal. I have no idea if any of these things work, but I am going to try:
  • How to Remove Laser Char on Wood Without Sanding:
    To remove laser char on wood without sanding, you can use the following methods:
    Denatured Alcohol: Apply denatured alcohol to a cloth and wipe the charred area. This will dissolve the residue and remove the burn marks.

    White Vinegar: Use white vinegar to clean the wood. Apply it to a cloth and wipe the surface. Vinegar is a solvent that effectively removes burn marks and minor soot.

    Hydrogen Peroxide: Wipe the charred area with hydrogen peroxide. This will help remove most burn marks and clean the surface.




 
I found this on laser char removal. I have no idea if any of these things work, but I am going to try:
  • How to Remove Laser Char on Wood Without Sanding:
    To remove laser char on wood without sanding, you can use the following methods:
    Denatured Alcohol: Apply denatured alcohol to a cloth and wipe the charred area. This will dissolve the residue and remove the burn marks.

    White Vinegar: Use white vinegar to clean the wood. Apply it to a cloth and wipe the surface. Vinegar is a solvent that effectively removes burn marks and minor soot.

    Hydrogen Peroxide: Wipe the charred area with hydrogen peroxide. This will help remove most burn marks and clean the surface.



Great info.
But bear in mind, on thicker woods, laser leaves a jagged cut edge and is not truly square. It leaves a slight angle which needs fine sanding to really obtain a close fitting butt joint.
 
@neilm, thanks for posting the pictures of the black/blue/red color scheme. This is one of the few "colored" ships that I like a lot. Likely to give if a try once I start the kit.
 
Back
Top