H.M.S Iron Duke. Battleship 1-200 scale scratch build.

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi friends,
I have started a new ship build of the super dreadnought H.M.S Iron Duke in 1-200 scale. I purchased a card model for Poland, and I am using this for a reference for my build.
I thought that a fully planked and painted model was more authentic than using card, as some models finished in card to not pass close up scrutiny. ( in my opinion )

But then again, there's some beautiful card model ships on the internet, and I don't wish to make any negative comment. Its just my own opinion.
the picture below is the Iron Duke model in the British maritime museum, which I am basing my build upon.
f5937_001.jpg

Last edited:
Great project Brian of a grand vessel Thumbsup I look forward to following along mate:)There is numerous aftermarket weaponry available all designed for use on Trumpeter's Hood;)

Kind Regards

Nigel

Yes indeed Brian

Mikasa along with several other warships of the period were built at the Barrow in Furness yard.I have visited this yard as they have a nice museum with several builder's models.Now they build nuclear subs there.
Sorry for digressing

Regards

Nigel

I am in love with that type\period of ships and made some models. However, the scale 1/350 is a bit small for my eyes and...and... painting, painting ...doesn't like Jim. I ruined everything when painting. Oh well... but those aftermarket PE parts can beautify the model and make one of a kind!
I will keep an eye on your build with big interest.

Hi Nigel,
as a matter of fact, I purchased a 1-200 scale plastic kit of Milkasa for cannibalising some parts. I am using the davits, ships boats and other deck fittings, as she was originally built in a British shipyard and lots of fittings are very similar.
View attachment 111739
Very smart idea Brian and interesting build, something different. Are you using aluminium plate or also aluminium tape for this build. With tape you can also get great results.

G'day Brian, hope you don't mind me following your threads on building the 'Iron Duke'. This will be my first model building attempt so I'd like to ask you some questions as I go along. Your model is excellent by the way - not sure I can emmulate it (judging by your experience!!). Cheers Trev Payne

Back