half round strips

The LST I am building has half round strips on the sides of the hull. I can't seem to find any about 1/8 inch in dia. I tried splitting a 1/8 inch dowel with very poor results. Any suggestions on obtaining some or suggestions on splitting a dowel without messing it up? (I don't have a band saw and my jig saw is useless for this)

Concur with YT. Use a dremel to cut the profileyou want into an old blade and use that to scrape the strips to the correct shape. Alternatively, if you already have the dowels you use a small plane or a chisel to scrape a flat on one side of the dowel.

One more thing. Before grinding off a half round profile on the blade, have it heated red hot with a burner and let it cool down gradually till room temperature. This makes the blade soft and easy to work with. When done shaping the tool, make it red hot again and drop it into bowl of cold water. This will harden it back.

The LST I am building has half round strips on the sides of the hull. I can't seem to find any about 1/8 inch in dia. I tried splitting a 1/8 inch dowel with very poor results. Any suggestions on obtaining some or suggestions on splitting a dowel without messing it up? (I don't have a band saw and my jig saw is useless for this)
Found them at Walmart 1/8" diameter dowels. Birch I think. I make them half-round with a few passes with a tiny block plane.

For 1/2 round pieces, I often use my table saw to cut some 1/8" thick (or other thickness, as needed) strips of wood to the required length, plus a little for safety. Then I use my router, or Dremel, or scraper to round over the edge on both sides and cut the 1/2 rounds off with the table saw using a 1/16" thick blade. Smaller saws have even thinner blades that reduce waste. Depending on the width of the strips that I cut, I might get 2 or 3 or more pairs of half rounds from a single piece of wood.
Happy modeling.
Steven

Hallo @Gator
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Cut a 1/8" x 1/16" dado/groove in a board and lay a 1/8" dowel in it. Then just plane/sand the dowel down flush with the board.

Last edited:
If you are limited on tools, you can get some 1/8 x 1/16 sticks and round off the corners to make it half round with a sanding block.

Try one of the Micro shapers from Artisania Latina. You can use a regular strip of wood to make half round over.

https://artesanialatina.net/en/micr...-plastic-models-miniatures-8421426273007.html

View attachment 365897
While they work pretty well on basswood and softwoods, they are a little hard to use on hardwoods. I find it easier to round over a length of board on its edge then rip the half-round strip off on the tablesaw. And it is much easier rounding over because it is easier to secure the board in a vise instead of trying to secure a long, thin strip while scraping.....just my thoughts...

Back