Hammock Netting

I am starting to install the deck elements with the hammock netting. The amount that was supplied with the kit is inadequate.

i have looked online to buy extra but have had some trouble finding suitable sized and colour netting.

Can others please tell me where they might buy some extra netting

IMG_3974.jpeg

I will be interested in any answers to this. I have looked for similar netting (but wider) for my Mary Rose build and so far have failed miserably.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had some Tulle that I sourced previously but it was too soft and sexy.

After your suggestions I found this in a local haberdashery store. I went in person to buy and inspect to make sure the size of the openings and the consistency of the material was workable.

For others I recommend to get this nylon netting Like this. Not pink colour though.

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sew...-cm-nylon-netting-fabric/BP80502344-baby-pink

So now the decision to make is should the netting be black or white?

IMG_3978.jpeg

Thanks for the suggestions. I had some Tulle that I sourced previously but it was too soft and sexy.

After your suggestions I found this in a local haberdashery store. I went in person to buy and inspect to make sure the size of the openings and the consistency of the material was workable.

For others I recommend to get this nylon netting Like this. Not pink colour though.

https://www.spotlightstores.com/sew...-cm-nylon-netting-fabric/BP80502344-baby-pink

So now the decision to make is should the netting be black or white?

View attachment 427102
Neither of these patterns look like real net. Look at pattern I provided in my post above.

Minor update.
Well the netting I was able to buy has holes that are slightly larger than the small amount of supplied netting from the kit. A careful eye can see the difference. When purchasing online it is not declared the size of the openings, and I can’t keep buying Tulle, the Admiral will get suspicious. So this difference will remain.
Belaying pins in racks. Poop deck ladders roped.
All shot garlands filled.
Poop deck finished.

IMG_3996.jpegIMG_3992.jpegIMG_3993.jpegIMG_3999.jpeg

Next to do Quarterdeck needs bulwark hammock netting. And companion way nets and roped stanchions.
Have started planning the lower gun deck port lids.
34’ launch painted.

IMG_3997.jpegIMG_3998.jpegIMG_3984.jpegIMG_3983.jpegIMG_3982.jpeg

As always thanks for visiting, I appreciate the interest.

Last edited:
Well the netting I was able to buy has holes that are slightly larger than the small amount of supplied netting from the kit. A careful eye can see the difference. When purchasing online it is not declared the size of the openings, and I can’t keep buying Tulle, the Admiral will get suspicious. So this difference will remain.
Belaying pins in racks. Poop deck ladders roped.
All shot garlands filled.
Poop deck finished.
Cousin Chestcutter:
Beautiful work! But the very white tulle seems a bit garish when contrasted with the nice, muted tones of everything else. Would that material take a dye or stain to create a more subtle color like your cannon lines?
Fair winds!

Hammock Netting​

A hammock net is a net made of traditionally TARRED linen that is often attached to the bulwark. This created a compartment on the rail, and the hammocks were stored there to air out in good weather. The present white netting on HMS Victory is (in my judgment) made of (white) cotton after reconstruction and does not correspond to the original hemp ones.
The material used here reminds me more of cotton clothes lines...

Vic hammock net.jpg

Last edited:
It is rather close to the actual execution of the hammock netting on the USS Constitution
And here the black net of USS Constitution (x)
This provided relative protection from fire from the tops and was also a splinter shield. Often, a sailcloth was stretched over the net so that it could also be used as a visual protection.

USS Const ham net.png

What I used for the hammock netting on my HMS Victory model 1/8 scale was plastic window screening. I just spray painted it to look like the color of rope you can buy it an and Home Depot most hardware stores. Because it plastic it can easily be cut to size with a pair of scissors. image.jpg

Cousin Chestcutter:
Beautiful work! But the very white tulle seems a bit garish when contrasted with the nice, muted tones of everything else. Would that material take a dye or stain to create a more subtle color like your cannon lines?
Fair winds!
I do not know if this would work with the tulle material you have but if you want you may want to try to use tea to stain it.

Hi Chestcutter. The tulle material on this Connie model came from Joann Fabrics. This is a 96:1 scale model. I know that some other members have gotten this tulle from that source in recent years, so hopefully it's still available at other fabric shops as well. And pretty sure black is what you want, but during U.S.S. Consitution's earlier days, those nettings my have looked a little different.

DSC_0035.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. It appears as though black is more authentic for the time period, but some ”whiteish” examples are also seen perhaps as a more recent replacement of the original.
i agree the white does stand out.
At the moment I have completed the two inboard rails with white. I will reconsider the colour before proceeding further.

I am starting to install the deck elements with the hammock netting. The amount that was supplied with the kit is inadequate.

i have looked online to buy extra but have had some trouble finding suitable sized and colour netting.

Can others please tell me where they might buy some extra netting

View attachment 427062
I use insect mesh, it's plastic & bends to the shape easily without the 'floppyness' of tulle. Available in black & grey. I use the grey, as it represents weathered white netting after months at sea.

I tried using the white Tulle netting, thinking that if the kit suppliers supplied white I should use white.
After installing all the hammock cranes on the quarterdeck I decided that I didn’t like the appearance. Also I realised that my technique was wrong.
There is very little detail in the written instructions or pictures supplied. Also reading other logs and looking at pictures, I found it hard to discern how others have secured the netting.
Also I realised the tulle isn’t a diamond shape netting but an elongated hexagon, and in the first attempts I cut and secured it on its long edge instead of the points, which left an ugly uneven edge.

So I started again.
This time I
1: Chose black tulle
2: Pre-Cut along the pointed tips of the hexagon.
3: Threaded a black “rope“ (0.5mm thread) through the eyelets of the cranes first
4: Secured the free edge of the tulle using 0.3mm cotton thread (black) using an over and over thread to the 0.5mm rope.

I think it looks much better than the white version.
Still have to redo the midship cranes and the other quarterdeck ones.IMG_4046.jpegIMG_4050.jpegIMG_4038.jpegIMG_4051.jpegIMG_4049.jpeg

Back